Author Topic: Location of gun ranges  (Read 9491 times)

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
Location of gun ranges
« on: May 17, 2014, 12:30:37 PM »
Where do I even start looking for the pubic gun ranges in Cedar Springs and down near Yankee Springs?

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: Location of gun ranges
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 12:39:32 PM »
On the side of the road??

Okay, not funny. Sorry. How about a web search?

Hey I know where cedar springs is at now.

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 03:27:22 PM »
https://www.google.com/maps/search/shooting+ranges/@43.1983393,-85.5445003,12z/data=!4m5!2m4!3m3!1sshooting+ranges!2sCedar+Springs+Public+Schools,+MI!3s0x8818fb44dbc78e75:0x295b912151c26a10

https://www.google.com/maps/search/shooting+range/@42.7731177,-85.5537307,11z/data=!4m5!2m4!3m3!1sshooting+range!2sWayland,+MI+49348!3s0x8819ccf84e2ab68b:0x8423447749f770b8

Best of them all- South Kent Sportsmans Club.

West Walker is heavily encroached by development, Rockford is persnickety about OC

South Kent has individual, private 25 yd pistol bays with earth berm dividers to protect you from your neighbors (and vice versa). No issues with drawing from holsters and rapid fire. If you want a tour, let me know.
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline Raggs

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 08:57:14 PM »
Xpiato google this 42.664884, -85.438304 there is a shooting range there, free and relatively nice. very near Yankee Springs as well

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 10:32:38 PM »
Never mind

Offline WarBladejm

• First Name (Displayed): Jerry
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 11:46:35 PM »
Xpiato google this 42.664884, -85.438304 there is a shooting range there, free and relatively nice. very near Yankee Springs as well

other one middleville area is
42.763520, -85.407602

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 01:18:59 AM »

South Kent has individual, private 25 yd pistol bays with earth berm dividers to protect you from your neighbors (and vice versa). No issues with drawing from holsters and rapid fire. If you want a tour, let me know.

I may be interested.  I live in Allendale and have been eyeballing south kent for a while...  just havent gotten around to checking it out
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline Shadow Bear

• MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 10:13:06 PM »
I may be interested.  I live in Allendale and have been eyeballing south kent for a while...  just havent gotten around to checking it out

At $140/yr, it's a deal and a half. Best part, you don't have to deal with yahoos on public ranges. There may still be yahoos, but you don't have to share a range with them. But, seriously, we throw yahoos out on their ass.

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 10:27:15 PM »
I belong to SKSC and I really like it ... even though I didn't get out there too much last summer.  The shooting bays are great.... and you can draw, move, rapid fire .... And you can bring guests whenever you like.  And as Shadow Bear says at $140 it is a bargain ... plus if you volunteer on a work day you can get up to $40 off!

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 10:56:30 PM »
That seems kind of expensive.  I know it's cheaper than paying for indoor time, but the Capitol City Rifle Club is only $60 a year.  That's where I belong.  They have 25 yd ranges, 50 yd. 100 yd, and 165 yd.  The 25 yard range bench is covered.  So is the 165 yard shooting area.  They also have separate tactical ranges where you can practice movement and self-defense drills.  They are only closed a couple of days a year and you get the combination for the lock.  You just unlock the gate, let yourself in, and re-lock it after you.  If you shoot during the week, you will probably be all by yourself.

The only bad thing is, they don't allow steel targets. :(

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 01:43:41 AM »
At $140/yr, it's a deal and a half. Best part, you don't have to deal with yahoos on public ranges. There may still be yahoos, but you don't have to share a range with them. But, seriously, we throw yahoos out on their ass.

i was looking at west walker because its closer to me and cheaper, but seems they are a lot stricter on guests and such..  At south kent if i was a member would i be able to bring my wife and 10 & 13 year old step children? 

I have 100-200 yards to shoot on my parents property, but its not a range.  It has no backstop (just a large hill full of corn) if i overshoot my target.  I would like some place to go without worry of a stray bullet hitting something. 
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 07:05:49 AM »
It has no backstop (just a large hill full of corn) if i overshoot my target.  I would like some place to go without worry of a stray bullet hitting something.

It is good you are thinking about this.  Some people think that as long as they are "out in the country..." they're safe.

The last time I got my CPL renewed one guy the board called in was out shooting in the country and a rifle round went into a farm house kitchen a gazillion yards away.  It seems one of the girlfriends of the guys out shooting couldn't control her AK-47 and shot some rounds high.  Farm owner called the sheriff and the sheriff drove around in the direction the bullet came from and found them.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 11:12:20 AM »
It would require one hell of a back stop if someone was shooting into the air because of poor recoil control.  I wouldn't let that person shoot on my property if that was the case.  I have seen some really nice dug down and built up home made shooting areas on some youtube videos.  It would be nice to live in an area where I could do something like that.  I'm pretty much just stuck with ranges.  I haven't looked much into shooting clubs, that might be a way to go.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 12:56:40 PM »
I wouldn't let that person shoot on my property if that was the case.

I talked to the guy outside the gov building after we were interviewed.  It seems these twenty-somethings were shooting on one person's grandparents' farmland.  Their property may have only been farmland without a house, so the property owner wasn't with or watching them, but other nearby farm property did have houses.  Yeah, the rounds travel pretty far when shot a little upward.  :yikes:

Offline Jeff

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 12:59:49 PM »
Yeah, the rounds travel pretty far when shot a little upward.  :yikes:

So I should strop trying to shoot pigeons off the phone lines behind my house with a Barret?  :shrug:

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 02:00:10 PM »
Eh, the Chicago Chief of Police was drunk shooting out streetlights, so using his example you're good to go.

Offline Shadow Bear

• MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 10:33:07 PM »
i was looking at west walker because its closer to me and cheaper, but seems they are a lot stricter on guests and such..  At south kent if i was a member would i be able to bring my wife and 10 & 13 year old step children? 

I have 100-200 yards to shoot on my parents property, but its not a range.  It has no backstop (just a large hill full of corn) if i overshoot my target.  I would like some place to go without worry of a stray bullet hitting something.

One of the beauties is the individual ranges; you are responsible for your guests. As long as you are safe & legal, you are good to go. The only thing we ask is that you contact Allegan sheriff if you're going full auto.

We have 6 25 yard bunkers, 1 50/100 combo bunker, a rimfire only range out to 100, a high power range with 50, 100, 150 and 200, and for the keen of sight, a high power range out to 500 meters. Also, 2 each trap and skeet ranges.