Author Topic: Safariland GLS vs ALS  (Read 9411 times)

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
Safariland GLS vs ALS
« on: June 07, 2014, 09:30:18 PM »
I have no idea why they came out with the GLS.  Having the unlocking mechanism right where your fingers would go, it would allow for anyone to come up and just take the gun.  The grab the grip of the gun. In just grabbing for it, the locking mechanism unlocks. This allows them to just pull the gun right out of the holster.  They might as well not have a locking mechanism on it. 

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Safariland GLS vs ALS
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 10:39:49 PM »
From his description it seems like the target audience is OWB concealed carriers, not open carriers. So in theory, no one should be grabbing your gun because they can;t see it.

Offline birddseedd

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 10:42:11 PM »
I have no idea why they came out with the GLS.  Having the unlocking mechanism right where your fingers would go, it would allow for anyone to come up and just take the gun.  The grab the grip of the gun. In just grabbing for it, the locking mechanism unlocks. This allows them to just pull the gun right out of the holster.  They might as well not have a locking mechanism on it. 

It is intended for conceal carry. Most don't use any retention for concealing. So, its kinda an extra protection, since they probably wont have a perfect grip trying to take it off of you. now, if it was for open carry, i would agree. I use serpa for open carry.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 12:30:34 AM »
I hear the Q dying a little bit inside.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 10:45:25 AM »
I hear the Q dying a little bit inside.

Haters gonna hate.  Most threads involving retention holsters devolve into a Serpa bashing thread. 
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Safariland GLS vs ALS
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 02:23:37 PM »
I'll stick with my ALS.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Safariland GLS vs ALS
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 02:25:14 PM »
I do think this holster is good at preventing accidental loss from jostling/running. I think it sucks for gun grabs. Definitely good for CC. Bad for OC.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 04:51:49 PM »
ill stick to my serpa!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jeff

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 05:32:28 PM »
ill stick to my serpa!!!!!!!!!

Did you know that with a serpa you are guaranteed to shoot yourself in the foot at least 11 times in a life span?

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 08:14:13 PM »
Did you know that with a serpa you are guaranteed to shoot yourself in the foot at least 11 times in a life span?

It usually enters the thigh and exits through the knee cap.  Just sayin'
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline bchapman833

• First Name (Displayed): Ben
Safariland GLS vs ALS
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 08:13:57 PM »

Are you saying that I have a good chance of shooting myself when using my SigTec since it has the same layout of a Serpa?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jeff

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 08:50:34 PM »
Are you saying that I have a good chance of shooting myself when using my SigTec since it has the same layout of a Serpa?

Totally.  I'm surprised that you still have limbs in tact while using those thigh busters.

Just in case some don't realize I am joking.

Offline bchapman833

• First Name (Displayed): Ben
Safariland GLS vs ALS
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 09:31:28 PM »
 Its ok I have two thighs if I take one out then I will just switch sides and learn cross draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk