Author Topic: Good Open Carry Holster for Beretta 92?  (Read 9011 times)

Offline Wardo

Good Open Carry Holster for Beretta 92?
« on: July 16, 2010, 09:55:52 AM »
Hey guys, 

Im just about to the point where im ready to open carry, however the cheap "free" holster i got with my case is garbage. 

I have a full size Beretta 92

I have heard someone say Blackhawk is a great brand, but was easily confused when i read "Paddle Holster"  Can someone explain what that is?   Anyone know of a good website to purchase a holster such as this? 

Any help would be great   :)
-----------------------------------------------
God made man, Sam Colt made him equal!

Offline FatboyCykes

Re: Good Open Carry Holster for Beretta 92?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 05:26:54 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Defense-Handed-PIstol-Retention-Holster/dp/B002CMBA1C/ref=sr_1_sc_12?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1279315451&sr=1-12-spell

The above is a paddle holster as opposed to a belt type holster.  It literally has a paddle that slips down your trousers rather than a piece of plastic with holes for a belt to keep this thin on your hip. 

There is some very fair points out there on why not to get a Serpa, I use one, but at this time don't feel completely comfortable recommending them, I know it's weird, but do some research and come to your own conclusion on this one.

Offline Wardo

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 10:17:45 PM »
Thanks for that information.   Now to shop   :)

Offline NHCGRPR45

• Macomb Twp. MI
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 10:24:41 PM »
check out the safariland ALS holsters! you can find one for about 30 bucks at www.opticsplanet.net i have one for my 1911 but i got the carbon fiber fininsh so mine cost 43$ and you can probably get free shipping also. i must say they i have a love hate relationship with the M9 carried one in 2 countries functioned fine but it was short on stopping power, of course we had ball ammo, which wasn't great.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such goverment, and to provide new gaurds for their future security. United States Constitution.

Offline Tango125INF11b

• I looked Death in the face, so what have you done?
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 12:16:06 PM »
I have a SERPA for my Glock 19 and I love it. It's one of those love it or hate it things. Just get the belt loops, the paddles are cheap.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Offline FatboyCykes

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 02:56:04 PM »
Definitely a love hate thing, as I can't stand the belt type, but love the paddle :P

Offline Tango125INF11b

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 03:00:30 PM »
I used to be a paddle guy til I broke two (Fobus and Houston) I still have a Galco one lying around somewhere. Then I watched videos of them being broken. I like the paddle because it puts the weapon closer to you, but it breaks easier i guess people are saying. So I have the kit that has both paddle and belt and I just started using the belt a few weeks ago.

Offline Tango125INF11b

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 03:06:55 PM »
Take under consideration I was very rigorous with my paddle holsters. I am sure under natural wear, they work just fine.

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 05:28:44 AM »
bianchi model 5 "blackwidow" for all my pistols, including my 92 elite II I had  :'( and never should have sold
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline Tango125INF11b

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 04:37:44 PM »
Bianchi makes great leather holsters. Thats another one I would look into. That and Desantis.

Offline Wardo

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
Gonna try the Blackhawk Serpa Sportster.   Grabbed on on Ebay for 30 shipped NEW.    Should be here by the end of the week, i will post my thoughts on it when it gets here.   Thanks for all the helpful hints guys!

Offline Bronson

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 10:51:57 PM »
Gonna try the Blackhawk Serpa Sportster.   Grabbed on on Ebay for 30 shipped NEW.    Should be here by the end of the week, i will post my thoughts on it when it gets here.   Thanks for all the helpful hints guys!

The Serpa Sportser versions aren't made from fiber reinforced plastic.  They are less expensive but not as strong.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline Wardo

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 07:48:09 AM »
Yea i read that in a few places.   I think it will be a HUGE step up from the cheap nylon one i got for free with my case.  lol

Offline Bronson

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 06:25:11 PM »
I just received a Safariland 6377 ALS holster from Optics Planet.  You can read the review here http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php?topic=444.0 and follow the link in there back to other links for odering one.

With shipping it came to just about $35.00 and my initial opinion is that it's better constructed than the Serpa.  The links are for a 1911 holster but they may make one for the Berreta since it's a common service pistol.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine