Author Topic: Only cops are trained enough to carry guns  (Read 6593 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
Re: Only cops are trained enough to carry guns
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 08:47:27 PM »
The article should have read

"Police have  not yet released the name of the FORMER officer who fired the gun."

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 09:47:40 PM »
Live rounds, safety off, finger on trigger.  SMH.  Next time, unloaded, safety on, proper trigger control.

or if you need a round chambered....

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 08:04:37 AM »
Live rounds, safety off, finger on trigger.  SMH.  Next time, unloaded, safety on, proper trigger control.

or if you need a round chambered....

ive got some a-zoom snapcaps. love em

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 09:08:57 PM »
ive got some a-zoom snapcaps. love em

I have caps in 9mm, 380acp, and 223 Rem.  Next time you are at the range, have someone randomly pop one in a mag for you.  Great way to train for misfires.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 09:35:03 PM »
I have caps in 9mm, 380acp, and 223 Rem.  Next time you are at the range, have someone randomly pop one in a mag for you.  Great way to train for misfires.

Yes, but you don't even need snap caps for this.  Load some magazines with empty casings randomly mixed in.  Note: this only works with brass cases.  If you shoot aluminum cases (CCI makes some) this will not work.  linux is correct, this is a good failure drill.  Put 5 to 7 empties in a mag (assuming 15 round mag).

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 01:48:14 AM »
won't empty brass mar the feed ramps?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 02:30:37 AM »
1. don't know, and
2. it's a gun, it won't hurt it, and
3. this is a real drill taught by real firearms instructors using real empty casings

MDFI uses this drill.  That's where I first did it.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 05:00:43 PM »
The soft weak brass isn't going to harm the steel.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 08:50:42 PM »
So Hawaii is pretty much a no-issue state because only cops are trained enough to handle guns.  According to the video in the first story, this is the third time this month an Hawaii cop has had a negligent discharge.

Cop negligently shoots gun in Target store in Hawaii. If this had been Joe Civilian, he would be looking at a Class C felony (5 years incarceration) under Hawaii Revised Statutes.

http://khon2.com/2014/09/09/hpd-investigates-after-officers-gun-fired-in-store-bathroom/

Honolulu police officer dies in apparent accidental shooting.  One cop was showing his gun to a friend at a BBQ.

http://www.kitv.com/honolulu-police-officer-dies-in-apparent-accidental-shooting/27634064

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 06:58:32 AM »

Great way to find out if you're flinching too.
The sights shouldn't move when the gun doesn't go bang.

Yes, but you don't even need snap caps for this.  Load some magazines with empty casings randomly mixed in.  Note: this only works with brass cases.  If you shoot aluminum cases (CCI makes some) this will not work.  linux is correct, this is a good failure drill.  Put 5 to 7 empties in a mag (assuming 15 round mag).

Probably with most rifles. Not such a good idea with a semi-auto pistol unless you want to practice clearing jams. (OTOH, making it jam in practice sessions might be a good thing)

I had a 1911 that I used spent brass for snap-caps to dry-fire. After about 20 shots I had to switch brass before the firing pin penetrated the primer. When I stuck an empty in the magazine and dropped the slide, I only had a 3/4 chance of the brass chambering. I told the guy who bought it that it was 100% reliable IME feeding hardball, I didn't think to tell him it was not 100% reliable feeding empties. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 07:08:37 AM by CitizensHaveRights »
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 01:36:03 PM »
Not such a good idea with a semi-auto pistol unless you want to practice clearing jams.

That's the failure drill.  If you get fail to feed or fail to fire, doesn't matter, you clear the failure and keep going.  And I'm talking about pistol.  I don't know how well this works with rifles.  May be fine, I've never tried it for a rifle drill.  I know MDFI uses empty brass randomly mixed in with your good ammo in your magazine for failure drills.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 11:18:31 PM »
We need a sticky called "Only cops are trained enough to carry guns" to collect these.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/09/18/officer-shot-in-foot-during-near-north-side-chase/

"It appears the officer’s gun accidentally discharged, and a bullet hit him in the foot."

While the officer had his gun pointed at his foot, he pulled the trigger.  <= FIFY.

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 08:11:33 AM »
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 08:56:04 AM »
Remember that Lee Paige of the DEA gave us the phrase "the only ones".
Sometimes I think the primary purpose of federal law enforcement agents (FLEAs) is to make local cops look professional in comparison.

"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 01:41:42 PM »
Anyone hear of the court officer that shot himself at the bankruptcy court in GR?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 03:59:00 PM »
Yep.  The excuse was he was cleaning his loaded gun, in the courthouse, at work.  I'm wondering if that was just an excuse he dreamed up because he was coonfingering his pistol.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 04:28:41 PM »
Anyone hear of the court officer that shot himself at the bankruptcy court in GR?

http://woodtv.com/2014/10/03/report-shooting-at-grand-rapids-police-department/

With his hand in front of a loaded gun, the officer pulled the trigger.

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 07:21:30 PM »

A Federal Court Officer shot himself in the hand while playing with a Hand-Gun.
That's even more special than the federal Marshal who shot himself in the ass when reholstering a gun he'd relinquished to courthouse security.
http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_10097840