Author Topic: Safariland holster review  (Read 4299 times)

Offline Bronson

Safariland holster review
« on: July 20, 2010, 06:17:06 PM »
I just posted this over at OCDO and thought I'd put it up here too.

Here's the link to the OCDO thread in case somebody wants to get one:
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?77698-Holster-recommendations-for-a-1911

My Safariland 6377 ALS holster arrived today from Optics Planet. It's built very well and I think it's sturdier than the Serpa.

The big operational difference between the two is that the Serpa locks onto the trigger guard and uses the index finger to release while the Safariland ALS holsters lock onto the ejection port and use the thumb to release. It releases consistently but like the Serpa it will jam if you pull up on the gun before releasing the locking mechanism. It appears that the locking mechanism is replaceable should it ever wear out or break, which is nice.

As for comfort it rides a little tighter to the body than the Serpa and it holds the gun at a good height with the draw angle adjustable for straight drop, forward or backward cant. I do find that the front edge of the belt loop attachment digs into my hip a little in the 3:00 position...I may trim that area off once I decide if I'm keeping it.

If you've been following this thread you know about the little tab of plastic that is just behind the release button. This functions to protect the thumb safety and keep it from accidentaly being disengaged while wearing the holster/gun. Even with my freakishly short thumbs I can access the release button over the top of this tab. This position has the added benefit of getting my hand high on the grip and it keeps my thumb in the perfect position for releasing the safety as one smooth component of the draw. So far I think I'll keep the little tab.

I've practiced drawing from a variety of positions and stances and have had no difficulty accessing the release and I've even been able to release it through my shirt when it accidentally fell over the release button.

All in all this is a well built holster and I'm looking forward to trying it out over the next few days. If you're looking for an affordable retention holster this is definitely one to look at. Just follow the links provided earlier in the thread.

Thanks go to NHCASLJFD293479 for pointing me to this Safariland holster.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine