Author Topic: Federal Judge rules Baton Rouge gun ordinance unconstitutional  (Read 2261 times)

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
http://www.guns.com/2014/08/27/federal-judge-kicks-back-obscure-louisiana-gun-law-as-unconstitutional-video/

When Ernest Taylor left an area nightclub on the night of Oct. 13, 2012, he was pulled over by a trio of Baton Rouge Police Department officers who maintained he was driving without his headlights. After searching Taylor’s car, officers found three legally-owned rifles which led to the driver being charged under a little-known city ordinance for Possession of a Firearm Where Alcohol is Being Served, though he never brought the guns into the venue.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Federal Judge rules Baton Rouge gun ordinance unconstitutional
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 11:55:25 AM »
This is interesting, particularly in light of MI law:

Jackson found that since the Baton Rouge ordinance banned firearms even in the parking lots of establishments where alcohol is served, it would make ordinary citizens who stopped at locations as benign as grocery or drug stores with firearms locked in their vehicles subject to arrest. The law was so broad, maintained the court, that it could also be interpreted as “rendering the sale of firearms at establishments like Wal-Mart a criminal act.”

... the judge has determined the ordinance to be unconstitutional.

Offline m.marino

• First Name (Displayed): Michael
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 12:08:09 PM »
The article reads like they where going after him and knew he had the guns in his car and agreed to lie to get the charge. If that where to be the case, I would strongly be in favour of three fine pieces of manilla rope being employed for the misuse of law for personal gain. Sorry as former MP I NO tolerance for when PO cross the line. -Michael
Tuebor Libertatus

Offline Scott Leyder

• First Name (Displayed): Scott
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 02:33:51 PM »
That is exactly what I was thinking with the MI law as well.  It would turn thousands into criminals everyday just because they stopped to get gas and the station sells, or has a, liquor license.  I would hop a MI judge would have the same rational.