Author Topic: Wal-Mart suit: employees fired for resisting getting shot  (Read 2836 times)

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
Wal-Mart suit: employees fired for resisting getting shot
« on: September 04, 2014, 08:46:48 AM »
http://fox13now.com/2014/09/03/should-you-take-a-bullet-for-your-company-utah-supreme-court-considers-fired-wal-mart-workers-case/

The five justices of the Utah Supreme Court peppered lawyers for both sides with questions, looking beyond the issue of the firing. They noted this could impact other companies in Utah.

“In this instance where it’s not safe to withdraw, does an employee’s right of self defense trump any employer policy?” asked Utah Supreme Court Chief Justice Matthew Durrant.

Justice Christine Durham was more blunt, asking Wal-Mart’s attorney if it was acceptable “that an employer can fire somebody for refusing to take a bullet for the company?”

This article explains the individual plaintiffs' situations, I think anything we'd call "justice" sides with the three who were attacked with a gun. The two who were attacked with a knife were probably following company policy, the one who shoved a co-worker's husband can be fired for all I care.
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58369646-78/mart-wal-employees-fired.html.csp

"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
Re: Wal-Mart suit: employees fired for resisting getting shot
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 05:32:58 PM »
They have a right to firehim for whatever reason they want.

That's not to say I support the reason, nor would I disagree with a publicity campaign about it...
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 06:43:59 PM »
They have a right to firehim for whatever reason they want.

That's not to say I support the reason, nor would I disagree with a publicity campaign about it...

Sort of.  If they give a reason for termination, it must be legal and non-discriminatory.  Smart employers in at-will states will not give the real reason, simply "It's not in the company's best interest for your continued employment here."
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 07:53:14 PM »
Sort of.  If they give a reason for termination, it must be legal and non-discriminatory.  Smart employers in at-will states will not give the real reason, simply "It's not in the company's best interest for your continued employment here."
Yeah, I speak merely from a moral perspective.

If anyone were to call me a legal positivist, they would be horribly mistaken.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide