Linked Events

• MOC to Attend Huron Valley School Board Meeting: November 03, 2014

Author Topic: MOC to Attend Huron Valley School Board Meeting - Monday 11/03/2014  (Read 10035 times)

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Huron Valley School Board will be discussing the subject of restricting the lawful possession of firearms on school property, at its meeting this Monday. This is in response to a parent who lawfully open carried a holstered handgun recently while accompanying his children to and from school. The parent took extraordinary measures to inform the school administration and the sheriff's department beforehand, in order to prevent hysteria. There was none during any of his visits. The school board has however deemed it necessary to research ways in which to unlawfully curtail the lawful activities of parents.

In an email from MOC Vice President Tom Lambert, the School Board was been provided with all of the statutory citations surrounding the lawful possession of firearms on school property. They were also been provided with the statutory citations indicating that it is unlawful for them to enact any policies regulating firearms on school property. The School Board is not concerned with following state law. They obviously believe they are above the law.

Huron Valley School Board President Rebecca Walsh said the issue of open carrying of handguns will be on the agenda for discussion and possible action at either the Nov. 3 or Nov. 17 meeting of the school board.

Michigan Open Carry will be there representing, and speaking on behalf of the affected parents.

Citizens of the Huron Valley School District, along with other supportive persons are encouraged to attend the board meeting, to let the board know of their opposition to any unlawful actions by the school board.

Only persons with a Concealed Pistol License may lawfully open carry a holstered handgun at this meeting, since it will be conducted on school property.

Date: Monday November 3, 2014
Time: 7:00pm
2380 S Milford Rd
Highland, MI 48357

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/ev9hB
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
Re: MOC to Attend Huron Valley School Board Meeting - Monday 11/03/2014
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 08:55:59 PM »
"Milford High School" is part of "Huron Valley Public Schools"?
No wonder I found that TV news item so confusing. It was supposed to be about about Milford, but all they talked about was the Huron Valley situation.

"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 07:39:01 AM »
Pat and Tom,

Has a press released been prepared, including copies of anti gun propaganda that was found on board member facebook pages?

Has the leadership team made themselves available to press for interviews before the board meeting?

Great job on everything you have done in pulling this together.

Offline Lapeer20m

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 07:55:12 AM »
RELEASE THE DOGS!

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 08:09:51 AM »
The board's decision: If you legally OC, we'll call 9-1-1 to SWAT you and we'll lock the schools down.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/father-open-carries-firearm-into-school

Too bad I don't have my CPL yet, that could be fun.
"Officer, do you have a reasonable suspicion that I've committed a crime?"
"Then would you please go piss up a rope?"

A written statement issued by Rebecca Walsh, Huron Valley school board president, states:

“Any visitor who brings a gun will be treated the same and the police will be summoned. This is essential because the District has no way to know who is violating the law and who first into the exception.”

Some parents say they open carry to protect their children and don’t mean to intimidate. Still, others say bringing guns to school is risky business, whether or not it’s the law.

Retired Huron Valley teacher Sherri Masson told board members, “After years of studying data on gun violence I’ve come to understand that the presence of firearms does not make us safer.”

Many people likened the lockdown emergency plan to crying wolf, and pointed out that such false alarms can disrupt learning time.

Tom Lambert, vice president of Michigan Open Carry, Inc., said, “Going into lockdown every single time is ridiculous."

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/oakland-county/gun-rights-advocates-parents-speak-out-about-open-carry-at-huron-valley-school-board-meeting
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline G36shooter

• MOC Member
  • MOC Member,SE Regonal Coorrdinator
  • First Name (Displayed): Greg
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 09:48:30 AM »
Ms. Masson, if guns do not make us safer than why do police carry them?

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 10:47:34 AM »
How'd it go?

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 10:48:59 AM »
It went VERY well. In terms of speakers it was 23-4 by my count. Lots of videos posted on facebook.

Offline Xpiatio

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 10:54:43 AM »
Never mind , I read
Too bad I don't have Facebook.  But glad to know turn out was good.

Offline Xpiatio

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 10:56:42 AM »
So in essence they are enabling the idea of swatting

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 11:09:47 AM »
Maybe. We'll see. If the harass, then that is also illegal.

Offline Xpiatio

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 11:22:08 AM »
Would they really call police against this parent who they know is carrying legally?  I would assume they would against and new person who will open carry

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »
Would they really call police against this parent who they know is carrying legally?  I would assume they would against and new person who will open carry

According to their policy, yes they would. EVERY time. Seems like they are asking for legal trouble to me.

Offline Xpiatio

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 11:42:04 AM »
According to their policy, yes they would. EVERY time. Seems like they are asking for legal trouble to me.
Yes, I thought the same thing about legal trouble.

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 11:45:50 AM »
Question: Are we required by law to produce CPL in a PFZ at any time, on demand?

If Terry v. Ohio applies and the cops want to claim that OC in a PFZ generates a reasonable articulable suspicion, how is that different from claiming that seeing somebody driving a car creates reasonable suspicion of driving without a valid license?

And even if it is RAS, does it cease to be RAS with contrary experience?
"So, officer, how many people have you detained for carrying openly in schools, and how many of them had valid CPL in their possession?"

"You say every person you have ever checked for CPL in a school was in possession of a valid CPL and was lawfully carrying?
Therefore, in your years of professional experience, openly carrying in a school is a 100% reliable indicator that they are not carrying unlawfully?  And this 100% reliable indicator of lawfullness is what you are claiming for RAS? Are you sure you don't have that backwards?"

One thing for sure, if these lockdowns become a habit, the cops are going to be unhappy, if not totally pissed off. The question is whether they're going to blame the school officials or the lawful carriers.

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 03:10:31 PM »

Isn't calling 911 when there is no reason (say they know who is at school and know they hold a CPL) against the law?

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 07:20:36 PM »
Good question. Are only false calls to 9-1-1 illegal, or are pointless calls illegal too?

When Milwaukee's chief asked for people to call 9-1-1 and help him sic his 'troops' on OCers, I figured the answer was to call them every time you saw a MPD officer engaging in on-duty OC. "He's wearing gang colors and carrying a huge pistol!"

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 08:28:58 PM »
Question: Are we required by law to produce CPL in a PFZ at any time, on demand?

No.  However, a CPL proves you are exempted, so you may have to show it eventually down at the police station or in court.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 09:13:56 PM »
Isn't calling 911 when there is no reason (say they know who is at school and know they hold a CPL) against the law?
I would think that after the first time, they would know that the individual is lawful. Therefore any subsequent calls would be an attempt to prevent the individual from engaging in a lawful activity. And they would be false/illegal use of 911. However, they could claim that there is no way to know if the parent had their CPL expire or suspended since the prior lockdown.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 09:16:45 PM »
I received a message from the parent that was the impetus for our presence at the Huron Valley School Board meeting last night. He wants everyone that was there in support of him, and to those that wanted to be, to know that he was deeply moved by the overwhelming showing we made. Many people came from through out the area. And many more expressed support through comments on this and other facebook pages.

On behalf of the the parent, I want to express a sincere heartfelt thank you to each and every person that participated last night.

And to all that expressed support, your efforts are appreciated too.

Thank you!!! And carry on, lawfully.