Author Topic: Target Shooting Ban  (Read 3562 times)

doesch

Target Shooting Ban
« on: June 05, 2015, 11:53:28 PM »
One of my favorite spots was closed to target shooting. I'm not at all happy and have written my state senator & rep. Is there anything I can do beyond that?
Copy of My letter:
As a firearm owner in the state of Michigan I’m extremely frustrated that the DNR keeps closing lands to target shooting: 3.34 Middleville state game area, Barry county, prohibited conduct. Order 3.34. A person shall not do any of the following on the Middleville state game area, Barry county: (1) Discharge a firearm, as defined in section 40102 in 1994 PA 451, MCL 324.40102, except for the purpose of lawful hunting, being all or portions of sections 4 and 5, T4N R9W, where posted against such use. History: Am. 1, 2015, Post Jan 9, 2015.

Taken from: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/LUOD_Chap_III_Game_and_Wildlife_Areas_398540_7.pdf

This section of land was closed to some sort of DNR order, I researched the law and found that target shooting is closed in state parks and recreation areas. Which does make sense, I wrote the DNR for clarification on target shooting in state game areas and state forests which should be legal and was given the following response: “Thank you for contacting the DNR-Law Enforcement Division.  Your e-mail will be directed to the appropriate staff person for response.  If you need immediate assistance, please contact our office at 517-284-6000.  Thank you.” Since receiving this email on the subject the DNR has not offered an explanation, I have not received any correspondence since that initial auto-reply.

State Land Rules: http://www.michigandnr.com/publications/pdfs/RecreationCamping/IC3003-1_Park%20Rules_Poster.pdf

Following the law is important to me, and I am very disappointed that the DNR did not provide a legal justification for this action. I am writing you, my representative to ask that you do something to protect the right of Michigan Target Shooters. We do not consume any natural resources and there is no justification for the DNR closing land to a lawful activity that does not use natural resources. 

I think this is the smartest group of MI gun owners on the net and value any ideas you have.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 12:00:58 AM by doesch »

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: Target Shooting Ban
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 12:46:08 PM »
I think you've already done what one can do.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).