Author Topic: OC -- State Capitol Building. Including Brief LEO encounter  (Read 8257 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
OC -- State Capitol Building. Including Brief LEO encounter
« on: August 02, 2010, 07:31:35 PM »
lil_freak and I agreed during the day to get together downtown about 5:30, after I got off work.  We planned to meet at the Capitol, since it's right across the street from where he was meeting with the LPD Chief.

Unknown to us, there was a seemingly liberal pro-immigration group rallying there also.  Not that it's horribly relevant, but most of the participants seemed of Latino or middle eastern decent.  The shortest way by far to get to lil_freak, once I spotted him, was past the crowd.  We met each other and walked about the Capitol building once or twice.  We were standing by his car, about 30' from the crowd talking when one of them (who had a loud speaker) played a Police Siren noise.  I looked over and it became evident to me at this point that one of them was taping us.  I waved and smiled.

We walked on, from the East Side of the Capitol building where lil_freak was parked, around to the South side to make another lap.  As we were walking down the southern sidewalk, lil_freak noticed a uniformed MSP on his way across the Capitol lawn, on an intercept course with us.  I reached for my iPhone and pushed record.

As he neared us, I held up my iPhone.  He said he didn't have a problem with what we were doing and let us know that some of the pro-immigration people felt threatened by our firearms.  He let them know we weren't doing anything illegal.  I shook his hand as he walked away.  The LEO encounter lasted not more than 30 seconds.

On our next lap back (it was time for freak to go) we handed out a few MOC pamphlets to the immigration people and told them a little bit about the right to open carry in Michigan.

I'm sure in their (pro-immigration folks) version of the history book, we were Neo-Nazis there to intimidate them.  Which clearly, we were not.  If anything, they tried to intimidate us with their siren tactics.  Neither freak nor I had any knowledge of their rally when we planned our meeting around 2:00-300.  Indeed, we weren't even downtown at the time.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
Re: OC -- State Capitol Building. Including Brief LEO encounter
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 10:57:24 PM »
IIRC,the immigration group had complained of us handling our weapons,meaning when i armed myself from the vehicle,i also showed TheQ my 10/22 and 870,but they were never removed from the vehicle and were only made visible by opening the cases,not actually leaving the case.

i do believe that they assumed we were neo nazi's or something similar at first,judging by a few of them making comments that they thought we were going to shoot them,after we chatted for a little bit with them and passed out some pamphlets i feel they realized that we were not there to cause trouble,nor were we racists,one female even said she was going to get a firearm soon.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline skunkworks

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 01:13:14 PM »
Sounds like a very productive encounter(s).
Glad you conducted yourselves in a respectful manner and that everything was positive.
Do you make laps around the capitol just for exercise or is it a show of Pro 2A?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 01:17:26 PM »
Do you make laps around the capitol just for exercise or is it a show of Pro 2A?

For me, it's both. I walk my neighborhood at night because it is the coolest and most comfortable time to walk aroun 11 PM.

I carry while I walk.

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 01:46:22 AM »
Well for me,the laps around the capitol wasnt what id consider exercise,he was getting off work,i was taking care of some business down the street,we decided to meet up and chat for a few.

but OC'ing is a show of pro-2A,i cant think of a better way to show support for the 2A.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline Agent1

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 05:02:24 PM »
i cant think of a better way to show support for the 2A.

+1
Neither can I!
"It isn't always being fast or even accurate that counts. It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, arn't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't."
 John Wayne (The Shootist.)

Offline RandyK

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 05:55:04 PM »
I understand having the pistol on you during a casual meet up. Whats up with the two long guns in the trunk? What kind of business were you taking care of?

Offline emt805

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 06:29:20 PM »
I understand having the pistol on you during a casual meet up. Whats up with the two long guns in the trunk? What kind of business were you taking care of?
I am not sure who said it but it was best said that when shtf your pistol is used best to buy time to get someplace safe or to your long guns

Offline hamaneggs

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 07:35:31 PM »
I always notify those who ask me about my OCing of my intentions according to the MI constitution,which I state, "Every Person has the right to keep and bear arms for the DEFENSE of HIMSELF and THE STATE",with the qualifier that the state means my fellow citizens.Or simply "it's for my protection and anyone around me ,against the bad guys"! Try saying that and watch their reactions,it's priceless!
In GOD I TRUST! Luke 22:36 "and if You don't have a sword,sell Your cloak and buy one". Nehemiah 4:17 "Those who carried materials did their work with one hand and held a weapon in the other,and each of the builders wore his sword at His side as He worked."  I AGREE! AMEN!

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 08:24:54 PM »
I went shooting earlier in the day,then met up with the chief of police and an internal affairs officer for a late lunch(no nothing bad is going on,just casual lunch)

No time to take them back before our meet up.

Id also like to reaffirm that they were not taken out of vehicle or even out of cases,the cases were merely opened and the breech opened up for safety.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 09:42:15 PM »
Id also like to reaffirm that they were not taken out of vehicle or even out of cases,the cases were merely opened and the breech opened up for safety.

I confirm this statement.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 10:07:52 PM »
There is no reason having an unloaded rifle in transport mode in the trunk is a problem. And there is no reason to not show it to a friend. I agree that the way this was done was the best way in an urban environment so as to not upset the sheeple!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 10:59:20 PM »
And its not like the capitol isnt used to seeing long arms anyways eh?

Sorry,im just trying to put a bit of humor into things,everybody has seemed rather down lately. :o

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 11:31:52 PM »
 ;D Hey I see myself in those pictures!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline EM87

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 10:55:01 AM »
Hey, that's me in the last one!   ;D
"You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87 (from opencarry.org)