Author Topic: Lansing area OC experiences-TheQ & Lil_freak_66  (Read 9242 times)

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
Lansing area OC experiences-TheQ & Lil_freak_66
« on: August 07, 2010, 01:58:28 AM »
This is now the thread for what has become our weekly walks in the downtown area

Me and TheQ met up at the gun range he goes to in dimondale at about 7:30 to do some shooting,we shot until 9,i got my 10/22 sighted in at 100 yards now!We OC'd there

We then went downtown near the capitol and walked michigan ave. to east lansing,cut up through frandor,down saginaw,then back south to michigan and back to his car.

From 9:30 pm to 1am we OC'd downtown,had a few good discussions with people.

Only LEO interactions we had were when we called 911 because of a drunken man smashing a window and stumbling down the street at us,and again when we flagged down an MSU cop to tell him we saw a person breaking into U-Haul trucks.they never mentioned anything about us carrying.

Stopped for a pop at theio's on mich. ave,had a chat with a few people there about OC,politics,and the homeless drunks in the area.

On the way back,the clubs were nice and busy,we walked past at least 150-200 people,no looks(at least not toward our firearms ;) ) no screams,nothing of that sort.

Did have a group of 7 individuals hanging out at a corner where the clubs and bars all stopped at and it was quiet and dark past that corner,they looked like they would have otherwise caused trouble had we not been OC,they even made comments which i did not catch the words of exactly about cops,ccw and "jumped"(meaning attacked)

Only actual problems i think we had were sore feet,lack of restrooms(no cpl's,so we cannot go into most places in that area) and ive realized that after a few hours of carrying on my hip,it gets a little sore,but nothing really too bothersome.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 12:52:52 AM by lil_freak_66 »
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: Downtown Lansing OC-me and TheQ
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 02:21:11 AM »
they even made comments which i did not catch the words of exactly about cops,ccw and "jumped"(meaning attacked)

They made a reference to that we needed a "CCW" to carry a gun, clearly we know this not to be true.

On a side note, VERY fine scenery around the front of the cubs.  Many of the ladies were "openly carrying" also -- but not handguns.  ;)
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 11:18:35 AM »
Better holster and belt will fix the soreness Lil!! ;D
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 12:08:49 PM »
Yeah,maybe i should move to a left handed holster too,seeing as i am left handed...

I think it was a great walk,but next time im going to wear different boots.

And there is nothing better than those ladies open carrying they're...."assets"
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 01:27:53 AM »
walked downtown again with TheQ

took the 10/22 out for a tiny bit,no issues.

few 2nd glances when handguns were worn,no comments or ugly looks.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 02:58:31 AM »
walked downtown again with TheQ

took the 10/22 out for a tiny bit,no issues.

few 2nd glances when handguns were worn,no comments or ugly looks.

Some rumblings about us being cops or something like that was heard.

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 12:26:33 PM »
Oh yea,forgot about that.

Cops drove by us a few times too,heading back to the station,they did not even take 2nd glances.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 05:15:32 PM »
Oh yea,forgot about that.

Cops drove by us a few times too,heading back to the station,they did not even take 2nd glances.

I don't believe the police had a special interest in us.  I do believe they were more interested in the general intoxication in the area.  They were more prevalent as we neared the downtown bars, which were nearing closing time.  They weren't around much in the area of Pennsylvania.

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
Re: Downtown Lansing OC
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 02:58:29 AM »
Me and TheQ walked around again,no issues with us to mention,but we did see a Lansing LEO spend over an hour hugging drunk girls coming in and out of the bar,as well as flirt with them,im thinking of reporting him but am not sure.

Had our first comment in this area(surprising) about OC tonight,turns out the guy was a CPL holder,a tri fold was given.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 02:41:04 PM »
Had our first comment in this area(surprising) about OC tonight,turns out the guy was a CPL holder,a tri fold was given.

The CPL guy was standing outside a bar.  He knew precisely what we were doing and congratulated us for exercising our rights.

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 01:42:42 AM »
And again we went for a walk downtown,spent most of our time chatting with a couple cabbie's..they thought we were out of it at first but then saw that we arent wierdo's(if he only knew what goes on in the world of OC...lol) and we sat there and talked for an hour or 2.

Only thing worth mentioning other than that was 2 rather bad looking women in they're late 30s whom were wasted,but they didnt cause problems.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 01:47:59 AM »
And again we went for a walk downtown,spent most of our time chatting with a couple cabbie's..they thought we were out of it at first but then saw that we arent wierdo's(if he only knew what goes on in the world of OC...lol) and we sat there and talked for an hour or 2.

Lansing PD stopped to talk to the cabbies and thank them for where they were standing (versus in the past).  LPD didn't say anything to the two guys with guns and audio recorders.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 03:03:37 AM »
I was feeling a bit restless at 12:30 AM tonight.  My fiancee` works thirds during the week, so we're both accustomed to being up late on the weekend (I adjust my schedule pretty well back to working days during the week).  So, I took a walk.  I started walking from around Mt. Hope and MLK, up MLK, across Main St., Up Washington into downtown.  I had told my girl I was talking a rather long walk and that I'd appreciate her being able to pick me up if I didn't feel like walking back home.

As always, I had my cell  phone with me, which has a voice recorder and police scanner application, which I had tuned to Ingham County Public safety.

I got a drink and a bag of chips at Jimmy Johns on Washington.  I sat around, watched the bars close up in the area as I ate my chips.  I walked back down Washington when I was done and texted my fiancee` to ask for a pickup.  As I was walking down Washington one of the LPD units was stalking slowly behind me, I noted over my shoulder.  He pulled up the road and sat on a side street.  I walked passed him about another 200 yards.  Then I sat on the curb near Washington and and the I-496 overpass.  I sat there so my fiancee` who would be coming up Washington would be able to plainly see me.  As I sat, the same police car pulled down past me and continued down the street.  As my fiancees` car pulled up, I heard an officer on the scanner.  The conversation went roughly like this:

Officer: Just wanted to advise you there is a guy out on Washington exercising his open carry right.  He's currently sitting on a curb on the 200 block of Washington, possibly getting somebody to notice him and call it in.  He was downtown earlier.  I had no reason to stop and talk to him.  Standby for description.

Dispatch: Go ahead

Officer: Bald white male, approximately 40.  Light shirt, tan pants, clean shaved (at this point I'm getting in my fiancees` car, apparently he's not in sight anymore because he wasn't describing this).

So we head back home and I'm telling my fiancee` I'm being talked about on the radio.  As we're going along we see a LPD car (apparently the same) on a side street of Washing South of I-496.  He must have made me in the passenger seat.  He followed up down Mt. Hope and as we're driving, he says the following:

Officer: The man with a gun is now in a car, stand by for description.

Dispatch: 10-4

The officer proceeded to describe my fiancees` car, make, model, proximate color, plate info.  No information about the registration of the vehicle was read back, but the dispatcher said they made a note of it.

By this time, he's sitting behind us on MLK and Mt. Hope.  He turned north back up MLK as we proceeded West down Mt. Hope.

Proximate time of the scanner transaction was 02:30 on 9/5/2010.

The thing that bothers me most is I'm 29.  Really?! 40?!  *sigh*

Offline ghostrider

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 09:30:18 AM »
I was feeling a bit restless at 12:30 AM tonight.  My fiancee` works thirds during the week, so we're both accustomed to being up late on the weekend (I adjust my schedule pretty well back to working days during the week).  So, I took a walk.  I started walking from around Mt. Hope and MLK, up MLK, across Main St., Up Washington into downtown.  I had told my girl I was talking a rather long walk and that I'd appreciate her being able to pick me up if I didn't feel like walking back home.

As always, I had my cell  phone with me, which has a voice recorder and police scanner application, which I had tuned to Ingham County Public safety.

I got a drink and a bag of chips at Jimmy Johns on Washington.  I sat around, watched the bars close up in the area as I ate my chips.  I walked back down Washington when I was done and texted my fiancee` to ask for a pickup.  As I was walking down Washington one of the LPD units was stalking slowly behind me, I noted over my shoulder.  He pulled up the road and sat on a side street.  I walked passed him about another 200 yards.  Then I sat on the curb near Washington and and the I-496 overpass.  I sat there so my fiancee` who would be coming up Washington would be able to plainly see me.  As I sat, the same police car pulled down past me and continued down the street.  As my fiancees` car pulled up, I heard an officer on the scanner.  The conversation went roughly like this:

Officer: Just wanted to advise you there is a guy out on Washington exercising his open carry right.  He's currently sitting on a curb on the 200 block of Washington, possibly getting somebody to notice him and call it in.  He was downtown earlier.  I had no reason to stop and talk to him.  Standby for description.

Dispatch: Go ahead

Officer: Bald white male, approximately 40.  Light shirt, tan pants, clean shaved (at this point I'm getting in my fiancees` car, apparently he's not in sight anymore because he wasn't describing this).

So we head back home and I'm telling my fiancee` I'm being talked about on the radio.  As we're going along we see a LPD car (apparently the same) on a side street of Washing South of I-496.  He must have made me in the passenger seat.  He followed up down Mt. Hope and as we're driving, he says the following:

Officer: The man with a gun is now in a car, stand by for description.

Dispatch: 10-4

The officer proceeded to describe my fiancees` car, make, model, proximate color, plate info.  No information about the registration of the vehicle was read back, but the dispatcher said they made a note of it.

By this time, he's sitting behind us on MLK and Mt. Hope.  He turned north back up MLK as we proceeded West down Mt. Hope.

Proximate time of the scanner transaction was 02:30 on 9/5/2010.

The thing that bothers me most is I'm 29.  Really?! 40?!  *sigh*

They'll eventually get bored with this, and the chief will eventually start to question why they are doing this when there is plenty of crime to report on.

Any way to record those scanner episodes on your phone to save to computer? Might come in handy some day.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »
They'll eventually get bored with this, and the chief will eventually start to question why they are doing this when there is plenty of crime to report on.

Any way to record those scanner episodes on your phone to save to computer? Might come in handy some day.

Sadly no, not with this app.  I can subscribe to radioreference.com, they have a scanner archive.  $30 for 360 days, not bad...

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 12:03:07 PM »

Sadly no, not with this app.  I can subscribe to radioreference.com, they have a scanner archive.  $30 for 360 days, not bad...

Correction, I can record feeds.  I just updated to the "Pro" version of the app from the "light".  The "Pro" version supports recording.

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 12:04:56 PM »
Always a good thing to have,im suprised its taken them this long to get you on the scanner for carry,considering how often we walk in that area,and how busy it usually is when we do said walks.

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 07:40:03 AM »
moses.bz is a live scanner operation. I listen to Flint dispatch and lein requests as they happen. Neat!

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
    • http://michiganopencarry.org
  • First Name (Displayed): john
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 02:12:04 PM »
Fred has the most scanner feeds online in Michigan mostly serving Genessee county. There are a few other's in Michigan but nothing compares to Fred's.
"Any day you don't hear a "POP" and "WHIZ" is a Wonderful day....."

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
Re: Lansing area OC experiences-TheQ & Lil_freak_66
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 01:00:38 AM »
Tonight me and TheQ did some walking in the "hood" just before dark(made sure to get out of there before dark too)
Looking for the unknown person whom was OC there a few days earlier that we heard about on the scanners,sadly we did not find him.

Then we went for a walk around Gov. Granholms area,which is just a few blocks from TheQ's house.
Scouted a park for a possible picnic area next spring directly next to the governor's mansion,it seems like a decent spot.

no issues,no MWAG calls.nothin.