Author Topic: Can you shoot fast enough to beat your assailant?  (Read 3951 times)

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
Can you shoot fast enough to beat your assailant?
« on: September 09, 2015, 10:44:54 AM »
Interesting write-up.
It uses S*W*A*T officers as a substitute for trained experienced defenders and run of the mill college students for untrained attackers.

I suspect the results would have been greatly different if Jerry Miculek were the trained defender and run of the mill S*W*A*T were used for attackers, but I'm not Miculek and I doubt many members here can come close to his speed.

Stuff like this explains, but doesn't excuse, police training themselves to attack with deadly force first when they see that somebody else *might* attack them. 

http://www.outdoorhub.com/stories/2015/09/08/concealed-carry-myths-can-shoot-fast-enough-beat-guy/

The action was measured with frame-by-frame analysis of the encounters. The suspects were able to raise their gun and fire in an average of 0.38 seconds. The officers were able to fire back in an average of 0.39 seconds.

What? You mean if I aimed my gun at someone with a gun that’s not aimed at me, they can shoot me at will, and there’s not a darned thing I can do about it? That’s exactly what I mean. Yes, you’ll end up shooting them too, but you’ll still have a brand new body orifice. It all boils down to the absolute science of action and reaction times. The suspects started the action of raising their gun to shoot, while the officers had to react to, process, and then act on that stimulus. The overhead of this process allowed enough time for the suspect to get their shot off first, although just barely.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Can you shoot fast enough to beat your assailant?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 11:37:16 AM »
Not exactly sure what that proves.  As a gun carrier, if you are being threatened by a bad guy with a gun that you can still shoot them before they react and shoot you first?  Doesn't that prove our point, not disprove it?  We aren't required to command a threat drop his gun before we shoot it.

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 12:15:48 PM »
Good point.

Maybe the moral to the story is not to hold people at gunpoint, especially if you're juggling the phone and thinking about your conversation with the 9-1-1 operator?

"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 01:26:42 PM »

Good point.

Maybe the moral to the story is not to hold people at gunpoint, especially if you're juggling the phone and thinking about your conversation with the 9-1-1 operator?

Contain and get control the situation -- THEN call for help.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 02:46:21 PM »
Contain and get control the situation -- THEN call for help.
At the shoot don't shoot class I took, we had a situation where we had to call 911, while the bad guy "followed" our instructions.  One of my classmates had the guy standing there while he picked up the phone and looked at it to dial 911.  Bad guy took advantage of the situation and shot him.  I got kudos for having him lay face down on the ground with the muzzle trained on him the entire time I was on the phone.