Author Topic: Mackinaw Bridge walk 2015 anti-gun event? with video.  (Read 7081 times)

Offline Lapeer20m

Mackinaw Bridge walk 2015 anti-gun event? with video.
« on: September 10, 2015, 03:03:39 PM »
This particular MSP SGT is apparently anti-civil rights. 

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
Re: Mackinaw Bridge walk 2015 anti-gun event? with video.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 03:32:39 PM »
"We need to make sure the weapon's not stolen"

"Oh, you want me to cooperate with an illegal fishing expedition? You need to blow me, cocksucker"

(I'm too old and cranky to present the friendly face of OCing to badge toting criminals. But, since I knew the Bridge Walk was a Fourth Amendment-Free Zone, I would never dream of going there in the first place)

Anyway, the person in the video handled it well, and determined that the serial number check was MSP policy, not something made up by the first badge toting sack of feces he encountered.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 03:42:18 PM by CitizensHaveRights »
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 04:48:34 PM »
Great fisheye camera. What is it?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Lapeer20m

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 05:35:51 PM »
It's a gopro in a chest rig.  It was NOT a hidden camera.  It was obvious this encounter was being recorded.

Offline Lapeer20m

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 05:44:03 PM »
The officer was pretty hung up on checking my cpl before I got on the bus.

So I did the logical thing and secured my pistol and came back with an unloaded rifle in a case...no id or cpl required.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 06:13:15 PM »
FIFY

Offline Lapeer20m

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 07:12:08 AM »
Here is a rough draft of a letter i'm planning to send to MSP

September 11, 2015

To whom it may concern:

Hello, I am seeking information regarding the Mackinaw Bridge Walk.   If you are not the proper  person to reply to my inquiry, will you please forward this email to the correct person. 

It appears that MSP operates an inspection area/checkpoint for pedestrians who wish to participate in the annual Mackinaw Bridge Walk. 

Does MSP have a policy allowing officers to demand identification from participants as a condition of passing through the inspection area/checkpoint?

What specific items are prohibited from the event other than smoking, signs, banners, umbrellas, bicycles, roller skates, skateboards, wagons and similar types of devices, and animals? (other than service dogs)

Does MSP have a policy that details the scope of the searches at these checkpoints??  Ie: are the searches limited to only bags, backpacks, and purses, or are officers given discretion to perform even more intrusive searches without reasonable suspicion or probably cause?

Are these searches voluntary?

Do officers at these checkpoints have the authority to detain participants without reasonable suspicion of a crime?

Where does MSP obtain their authority to set up and operate these checkpoints?

What is MSP official policy regarding lawful firearm possession during the bridge walk? 

Does MSP have a policy allowing officers to demand that participants carrying firearms have their firearms “file checked” as a condition of passing through the inspection area/checkpoint? 

Is there a mechanism by which a person wishing to be free from intervention or search may travel freely across the bridge on foot during the event and not have their bag inspected?

Is there a mechanism by which a person wishing to be free from  intervention or search may travel freely across the bridge in an automobile during the event and not have their bag inspected?

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation

Sincerely

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 08:08:14 AM »
What does firearms file checked mean? Also spelling error on probably suspicion. Change to probable suspicion.

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 08:30:39 AM »
I assumed that 'file check to make sure it isn't stolen' is 'we're going to compare your ID to the registration for that serial number'.

They obviously can't demand that as law enforcers with no Reasonable Articulable Suspicion linking you to a crime, but can they refuse you entry to a public event put on by state government if you don't voluntarily submit?
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 09:18:53 AM »
Here is a rough draft of a letter i'm planning to send to MSP

September 11, 2015

To whom it may concern:

Hello, I am seeking information regarding the Mackinaw Bridge Walk.   If you are not the proper  person to reply to my inquiry, will you please forward this email to the correct person. 

I think you are doing a really good job with the letter and questions.  Thank you for your efforts.  I wish you had a name to send this to a specific contact.  Maybe someone can help suggest a name??   And you might ask that instead of forwarding the email that they let you know the correct person and their contact information.  If it just gets endlessly passed along it will be hard for you to follow up.

From the MSP website:

Internal Affairs Page:  http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1579_1656_58970---,00.html

Section from the Internal Affairs Page: 

Complaints about department policy or procedures

Occasionally, members of the public have questions or concerns about how or why the department operates or carries out its duties.  Such questions or concerns may be submitted to the Contact MSP page.  Our Webmaster will forward the submitted information to the appropriate commander or subject matter expert.

General contact page - the webmaster is tasked with forwarding to the proper person.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123--330194--,00.html

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 12:02:13 PM »
Update 86 contains the following detail:

Officers are reminded that the Fourth
Amendment protects citizens from unreasonable
searches and seizures. Carrying a nonconcealed
firearm is generally legal. Officers
may engage in a consensual encounter with a
person carrying a non-concealed pistol;
however, in order to stop a citizen, officers are
required to have reasonable suspicion that crime
is afoot. For example, officers may not stop a
person on the mere possibility the person may
be carrying an unregistered pistol.
Officers must
possess facts rising to the level of reasonable
suspicion to believe the person is carrying an
unregistered pistol.
Officers are also reminded there is no general
duty for a citizen to identify himself or herself to
a police officer unless the citizen is being
stopped for a Michigan Vehicle Code violation.

Offline Lapeer20m

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 12:16:25 PM »
I had good luck getting a reply to a similar inquiry about 18 months ago. 

I will start by emailing that person. 

I am also going to send a similar inquiry to the prosecutors office

Here is the previous response to a much simpler set of questions. 

This is in response to your letter inquiring about the searching of bags, purses, backpacks, and other personal property during the 2013 Labor Day Mackinac Bridge walk.  These consent searches were, in part, a response to the terrorist attacks at the Boston Marathon earlier that year.  This event is unusual in that pedestrians are not normally allowed to walk on the Mackinac Bridge.  This policy was approved by Prosecuting Attorneys in both Mackinac County and Cheboygan County.  The Mackinac Bridge Authority legal council also approved the policy.

Those who did not allow their bags to be searched were told they would not be allowed to participate in the bridge walk.  This policy will again be in place for 2014.

Please feel free to contact me if you need additional information.

Regards,

Insp. Steve O’Neill
Field Services Bureau
Michigan State Police
P.O. Box 30634
Lansing, MI 48909
Desk:  517-241-0916
Fax:  517-241-0409

“A PROUD tradition of SERVICE through EXCELLENCE, INTEGRITY, and COURTESY”[\quote]

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 02:20:30 PM »
General contact page - the webmaster is tasked with forwarding to the proper person.

This is probably good.  Also, what about Sergeant Amy Whatshername, the (PR?) person MOC has worked with before.  Phil, Ryan, and Brian know who she is and have spoken with her I believe.