Author Topic: Rally at Arts Beats And Eats  (Read 38432 times)

Rally at Arts Beats And Eats
« on: August 10, 2010, 05:03:37 AM »
In light of Royal Oaks flagrant violation of the state preemption law, would anyone want to do a mass carry event at Arts Beats And Eats?  I don't normally OC, but I'd be willing to prove a point to Royal Oak.  I'd rather not do it alone though, both for the fact that I've never actually OC'ed before, but also more importantly because there's safety in numbers in case Royal Oak tries any shenanigans.  They may hassle 1 person but 10?, 15?, 20?, 25?, 50?, 100?  Lets show them that the preemption law means something, and so does the Constitution, both Federal, and State.  Anyone interested?

Offline eVo

• Forum Troller
    • My Youtube
Re: Rally at Arts Beats And Eats
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 06:53:41 PM »
<raises hand> I'm game. only needs to be on Saturday threw Monday for me.

Offline BTAvery

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 09:52:53 PM »
Im in if more people join in for it.

Offline army74

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 10:36:35 PM »
I think alot of us are going to go Ive been OCing for about 4 or 5 months now.

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 11:17:24 PM »
Count me in also. Carry O. :D
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
    • http://michiganopencarry.org
  • First Name (Displayed): john
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 12:00:09 PM »
This Arts, Beats and Eats is really starting to piss me off! I watched some of the news video. I really hope a lot of OC'ers can find the time to turn out for this event. Dependant on my work schedule I am trying to make the event regardless of what there attorney opinion is. This is ridiculous.
"Any day you don't hear a "POP" and "WHIZ" is a Wonderful day....."

Offline TaxWhat

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 05:33:47 PM »
This Arts, Beats and Eats is really starting to piss me off! I watched some of the news video. I really hope a lot of OC'ers can find the time to turn out for this event. Dependant on my work schedule I am trying to make the event regardless of what there attorney opinion is. This is ridiculous.
         How  does City  turn open Streets and sidewalk into TOLL entrances ???

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 06:39:52 PM »
The same way many festivals do... by just doing so...
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 10:27:04 PM »
http://www.freep.com/article/20100812/NEWS03/100812052/1001/rss01

& Royal Oak is worried about legal open carriers?

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 10:56:08 PM »
I am planning on attending Sunday around 2-3pm. I'm at a wedding in Bay City/Midland for the weekend.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 10:29:11 PM by scot623 »

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 11:00:44 PM »
         How  does City  turn open Streets and sidewalk into TOLL entrances ???

Just another example of Lib, bureaucrat's in action. Looking out for our best interest! IDIOTS.

Offline sprinklerguy28

• Webb Tactical
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 11:04:40 AM »
A large group gathering together to do a demonstration would only further hurt our efforts. I would like to see everyone attend as usual. Many have fought hard for this win partially by pointing out we are everyday people doing everyday things. A big group together just to say we showed you would form a huge negative perception in the publics eye. Everyone of course is free to do as the wish, however I personally am asking to avoid large gatherings or demonstrations.

Thank you
Scott

Offline Agent1

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 11:53:55 AM »
A large group gathering together to do a demonstration would only further hurt our efforts. I would like to see everyone attend as usual. Many have fought hard for this win partially by pointing out we are everyday people doing everyday things. A big group together just to say we showed you would form a huge negative perception in the publics eye. Everyone of course is free to do as the wish, however I personally am asking to avoid large gatherings or demonstrations.

Thank you
Scott

I would have to agree with this. I will be attending as long as my wife is able. The only reason that I am attending is because of the work that everone here at MOC has done. Hopefully there is one 2A loving American planning on attending that normally wouldn't for every gun grabbing cry baby that says now they won't. I have been to this event in Pontiac CC. This time it's OC baby! Carry on.
"It isn't always being fast or even accurate that counts. It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, arn't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't."
 John Wayne (The Shootist.)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 10:07:45 PM »

I agree.  We made our point, let's not over do it.  If you were planning to go to the festival already, by all means, go!  But let's not go out of our way to rub it into everyone's face.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Maxwell Gunn

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 05:01:15 PM »
Just to let everyone know, The city attorney and the city council (royal oak) said that the entire festival grounds fall under the Michigan liquor control act. If this is true it would make open carrying WITHOUT a cpl illegal. I don't know whether the liquor licenses really cover the entire festival or not, or whether the police will enforce that or not.

Offline emt805

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 06:06:01 PM »
Just to let everyone know, The city attorney and the city council (royal oak) said that the entire festival grounds fall under the Michigan liquor control act. If this is true it would make open carrying WITHOUT a cpl illegal. I don't know whether the liquor licenses really cover the entire festival or not, or whether the police will enforce that or not.

I would say they are trying to regain control that was taken away from them. These are the corrupt politics that we need to get out of office.

Offline RandyK

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 08:37:24 PM »
In light of Royal Oaks flagrant violation of the state preemption law, would anyone want to do a mass carry event at Arts Beats And Eats?  I don't normally OC, but I'd be willing to prove a point to Royal Oak.  I'd rather not do it alone though, both for the fact that I've never actually OC'ed before, but also more importantly because there's safety in numbers in case Royal Oak tries any shenanigans.  They may hassle 1 person but 10?, 15?, 20?, 25?, 50?, 100?  Lets show them that the preemption law means something, and so does the Constitution, both Federal, and State.  Anyone interested?
I was at every single city council meeting that pertained to fixing the contract, fought just as hard as everybody else. This was never about bringing guns to the festival! It was about getting a illegal clause removed from the contract. That mission was accomplished. We won! The media has moved on to something else. They aren't going to know if one OCer shows up or 100 do.

The fact of the matter is just because firearms are allowed doesn't meen this is an OC friendly event. I think if the anti's go to a place expecting to see guns and don't see any makes more of impact then going there and rubbing it in there faces. Hopefully they realize that they made a big f'ing deal out of nothing. Showing up and getting noticed just gives them fuel for the fire. I you wanted to make an impact you should have came to some of the meetings.

Why would I go to a crowded place were I know im not welcome and could be harrassed? No thanks, ill go someplace were I can have fun that weekend.

Offline FatboyCykes

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 10:10:38 PM »

With all respect to the lawyer I believe the law says an establishment licensed....I don't think the ABnE qualifies as an establishment, I could be wrong.

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 05:13:23 AM »
WAR!!!!
A note from the festival producer Jon Witz
.by Arts, Beats & Eats on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 at 5:57pm.
 To our festival fans and friends,

I am writing in regard to a few concerns we've had from our festival patrons and fans.

My name is Jon Witz and I produce Ford Arts, Beats & Eats. This is a note to you written by me from the heart and not a public relations statement, I have three young kids 6-11 (maybe not young anymore) and I live in Troy. As most of you know, it's been a policy of ours not to allow hand guns into the event for twelve years.

One thing I've learned in the last couple of months is that individuals in Michigan and 43 other states actually have the rights to carry a holstered side arm in virtually everywhere they travel. This includes Oakland County Parks (which just had to change their policy) or walking into downtown Royal Oak for dinner, or at other family festivals. The City of Royal Oak and the festival recently changed their policy because they thought they would be violating the law. Nothing more. Not one of the Royal Oak commissioners thinks guns should be allowed at the festival, and they join a vast majority of our society including most gun owners. An out right lie

The organization that fought for their rights to carry guns has no plans to come to the festival in any large group, and the majority of this very small group won't even be attending. It's an absolute fallacy that there will be any visible amount of weapons at the festival Oh yeah?, watch us., and I am asking you to get the word out to any friends that are considering not attending due to this unfortunate state law. By not attending you will take your frustration out on 60 charities, artists, musicians, restaurants, unique Royal Oak businesses and cultural organizations that have been a part of the festival for years. They would also be penalizing a festival that COMPLETELY AGREES WITH THEM! We are asking everyone to consider a different course of action, which will help fix the problem not penalize the hundreds of good organizations that will involved in ABE, which is to write a letter to your state senator and representative to get the law changed for next year. I will even write a sample letter for you to start and you can change and personalize it as you wish.

It's very clear to me that our event was a target due to its high profile, but will not be a place that more than a few of these people with guns are actually coming to. PLEASE put your energy to fixing an archaic law that needs to be changed. Please also note that our festival, like others, has not searched people when they come in, and we've had zero incidents involving hand guns in our history. In this light, people with concealed weapons and permits could be at our event, just like they could be sitting next to you at a restaurant or in a movie theatre Spell check much?. We have a strong police and private security presence and our feeling is that we would be, as we've always been, one of the safest places to be in Metro Detroit on Labor Day Weekend.

If the City and festival upheld its policy, two things would have actually happened: One, the city would have been open to many costly lawsuits, and two, the gun owners would have rallied outside the festival with a large amount of people to protest. By making this change now, we are actually reducing the number of gun owners that will be at the festival. Such a scenario could easily be a worse situation. So were Lepers? In fact, I would be more uncomfortable with my family if there was a big issue about it from the open carry gun advocates then otherwise. It would have been a drain on police and law enforcement and put the media spotlight on the people who want to promote carrying guns.

Again, since we changed our policy, it does not mean that myself, or the festival, or the City Commission of Royal Oak lacks principle or back bone. You have my word that I will be personally leading charge after the festival to amend this law by the end of the year.

Thank you for your consideration and look forward to seeing everyone at Ford Arts, Beats & Eats

Jon Witz

Producer

Lets burn this bigoted anti-gun *edited*!!!!!

I'll be there for a certainty now, and I WILL be OC'ing, and I'm now giving serious consideration to bringing my PS90 just to teach that elitist, arrogant *edited* a lesson. >:(
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 09:57:08 PM by FatboyCykes »

Offline cabman1

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 10:12:34 AM »
I pose to ask a question why in the world would anyone that believes in the 2nd amendment  go to this event????Exspecially when he said he was going to take the money and try to get lansing to change the law so he still doesnt want us there!!!!! 
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc or the law.