Author Topic: Detroit Henry Ford hospital-asked to disarm  (Read 9752 times)

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
Detroit Henry Ford hospital-asked to disarm
« on: August 23, 2010, 08:02:59 PM »
I dropped my son off at Detroit's Henry Ford Hosp. I was open carrying. I was stopped by the Guard and said i could not come in there open carrying. I told him that it was a Mich. law that i could with a cpl. But i was not ready to deal with that then. So I let my son out  and picked him up later. The guard did say the could hold it for me until i came out. So when i called the NRA for help they had no info on open carry. I then called the hosp and talked to the Lt. she said no and the hosp. is private property.That's where i'm at right now/ I have not read any where it says unless a hosp is privately owned.
Can any shed more lite to this. ??? ???
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 09:34:09 PM by lil_freak_66 »
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
Re: Detroit hospital-asked to leave
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 09:33:21 PM »
Well its private property,they can ask you to leave,just because the law allows us to do something does not mean it trumps private property rights(though i personally believe a person licensed to carry a firearm should be a protected class)

Don't expect NRA support for open carry,they haven't decided that we are large enough to financially support,they follow they're wallets these days.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 09:35:40 PM by lil_freak_66 »
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline ghostrider

Re: Detroit Henry Ford hospital-asked to disarm
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 10:52:44 PM »
The freak is correct that private property rules.

The guard is another story entirely. If he doesn't have a CPL, he cannot legally posses your handgun.

Offline drtodd

• MOC Member
  • MOC Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 02:43:47 PM »
The freak is correct that private property rules.

The guard is another story entirely. If he doesn't have a CPL, he cannot legally posses your handgun.

This would be true for most security guards, but the Henry Ford Health System is a licensed private police force with arrest powers and they are considered "peace officers" in the state of Michigan.
http://www.michigan.gov/mcoles/0,1607,7-229--147950--,00.html
"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. U.S. 230 F 486 at 489

"Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them." Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).

Offline ocdetroit

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 05:58:13 PM »
great infor. I just wanted to know if they were private or not. The guard was very kind and so was his super. carry on.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline dtmartin408

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 12:05:23 AM »
I have just read a few of these post and I have a couple of questions of my own regarding hospital security staff.  Are they security officers or are they deputised officers?  I know that on college capuses such as occ, mcc, and etc that they are deputised by the county sheriff as leo's.  Does anyone have any info that might shed some light on this for me?

Offline Advanced Security

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 04:35:12 PM »
Probably should start a new thread, but I'll give you my take on it.

I have been sworn in as a genesee county sheriff's deputy. It pretty much means nothing to be sworn in. Its kind of a show type deal. You get no perks, no risk, no nothing. I'm not complaining about any of it, just stating my opinion. I figure if someone wants to act like a cop, they should go to the academy. Just because a person is a deputy doesn't mean a whole lot. What does mean something is what their ID card says...

Just my take on it.

Offline BailEnforcer

• Facta Probant
    • Forfeiture Services
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 04:53:11 PM »
I may be wrong here; but, I thought HFH was a Community Hospital subsidized by the County, State or Federal Government and as such they can not claim Private Property. 

A long time ago when I worked for KCMH; a subsidized Community Hospital in New England, we got sued over such an issue. 

There was an off duty guard not working for the Hospital; but there with a patient, that was asked to remove his weapon from the grounds; which was concealed and only noticed by another nosy patient when his shirt rode up on him as he went to set down.

He had a CCW but the supervisor told him he had to get it off the campus or the police would be called. 

The guy argued with our staff and the Warwick Police was called in who they ordered him off the campus claiming Private Property and issued a No Trespass Warning. 

This guy went to his lawyer and sued; the hospital settled out of court for an undisclosed sum before trial because they could not claim private property as a State Subsidized Hospital and the No Trespass Warning was removed.

After that we where told that anyone with a CCW could possess a firearm just so long as they kept it concealed.

Of course this was a different state; one with out OC and may not apply here; but, I thought I'd share.
The Patroit Act; Turning citizens into suspects since 2001!
-------------------------------------------------
I may not like what you have to say; but, I will defend to the death your right to say it!  Voltaier

Offline ocdetroit

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 09:47:31 PM »
It the Ford Family owen it i guess it's private money?
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline NHCGRPR45

• Macomb Twp. MI
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 05:56:47 AM »
the act that allows a hospital to have its own police force is public act 350 or P.A. 350 schoolcraft college has a course for that. it gives certain entities a provision that allows them to staff private security officer and give them the same powers as a sworn law enforcement officer. there powers are limited to the facillity they work at. so once they go off of the area they are protecting they become security gards again. HFH the saint john hospitals providence hospital community colleges and a host of other private corporations have PA 350 cops on staff. they often work with local leo's for trainging and get the same rule book to follow. oh the DMC facillities have pa 350 cops also.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such goverment, and to provide new gaurds for their future security. United States Constitution.

Offline ocdetroit

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 07:06:31 PM »
Thanks for that infor. Carry On. 8)
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline NHCGRPR45

• Macomb Twp. MI
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 01:14:01 AM »
its good that they were at least nice to you and offered to hold onto your firearm. they most probably have CPL's but my problem is with "how" they would hold onto your firearm. would they lock it up, or put it in a drawyer accessible by anyone?? at the saint john macomb hospital i was allowed to lock it in a secure lock box behind another locked door behind a security desk manned by a security officer granted police powers who was also armed, and i had the only key to the lock box my gun was in. i was pretty ok with that. even though i would have preferred to keep my gun with me.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such goverment, and to provide new gaurds for their future security. United States Constitution.

Offline ocdetroit

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 12:50:17 PM »
I feel u, they said they would let me keep it in the same place the LEO's off duty keep theirs. But I told my son i would pick up later. Yes my son is grown. I was good with that. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.