Author Topic: New MOC website – solicitation for comments  (Read 75655 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
New MOC website – solicitation for comments
« on: February 11, 2019, 02:50:48 PM »
Michigan Open Carry is planning on replacing our current website and forum with a new website.  Our current website and forum are pretty long-in-the-tooth.  Because they’ve been around so long parts of it also contain outdated information.  Rather than try to clean things up we will be replacing it with a new, more modern website with accurate, up-to-date information.

Our intent is to also keep the new website updated with new content including news, legislation, and MOC activities and events.  We recognize that there are many MOC members who do not use Facebook, and this will allow you to keep up with MOC without having to use that platform.

We are soliciting feedback from our members and users.  Feel free to reply here with your comments and thoughts as we go forward in the design and implementation of the new MOC website.  Timing is TBD, but we are currently in the early development stage.

All constructive comments and criticism are welcome.  Thanks for your continued support of Michigan Open Carry.  We’re trying to improve your user experience and make sure you get the information you need.

Dan Griffin
MOC Newsletter Editor
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:09:19 PM by gryphon »

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
Re: New MOC website – solicitation for comments
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 04:38:31 PM »
Not being a facebook user, I WELCOME this change.

Offline MI_XD

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Bob
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 05:00:35 PM »
Could be great, as long as it is NOT the forum format that OCDO changed to. I have given up on even trying to read OR post to that site ever again.
MI_XD
SW Michigan
I finally can be Proud of America, again!

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 10:10:53 PM »
Hopefully the new site works with VPN's, this site has turned into a burden to try to post anymore. Every other forum has zero issues, but this one has the same lame error message.

Will the new site have basic info such as who is running in an election?

Offline michaelm_ski

• First Name (Displayed): Michael
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 10:28:11 PM »
I like this so much better than facebook ! Keep up the great work with the improvements !!!!!

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 10:59:12 PM »
I like this so much better than facebook ! Keep up the great work with the improvements !!!!!

The problem was that since most people migrated to facebook, all of our efforts did, too. We're trying to fix that.  We recognize there are many users who don't want to be forced to use facebook to keep up with MOC.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 11:01:56 PM »
Hopefully the new site works with VPN's, this site has turned into a burden to try to post anymore. Every other forum has zero issues, but this one has the same lame error message.
Hmmm, I never had a problem accessing this forum through a VPN, not sure why you are.  Has it always been this way or just since Jason changed everything to HTTPS a while back?
I hope so!

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 11:16:58 PM »
I prefer forums to Facebook.  I would hope we can get more traffic here if the change is made.  I seldom post to Facebook.... and I don't want an account in my name.     

Offline Neilmrb

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 08:38:48 PM »
Never use facebook or any other social media. But this a challenge to use but that's why we have a website for all the goings on.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 07:26:00 AM »
Hmmm, I never had a problem accessing this forum through a VPN, not sure why you are.  Has it always been this way or just since Jason changed everything to HTTPS a while back?

Its only been recent, I forgot about him changing to https, but yes problem started about that time.
I can log in a read the forum, just can't post. The screen shot above is what I get when trying to post.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 08:31:06 AM »
I've notified our IT department, but have you ever emailed it@miopencarry.org with this issue?  Since we will be leaving this platform I don't know that they'll do any investigating now, though.

Dan
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 12:58:11 AM by gryphon »

Offline IdaBoy

• First Name (Displayed): Rob
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 10:23:48 AM »
I also prefer forums to Facebook. You can research better on a forum where on Facebook you can find much unless it is a recent posting. Nice!

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 02:02:29 PM »
So to clarify we are not going to keep a forum like this with tons of sections. What we are doing is building a wordpress based webpage with all the legal information and FAQ in one place. Discussion will be limited to a potential question and answer section ( at this point we are deciding which plugin to use) . Comments on individual articles is not planned as that results in crappy information that is out of our control and requires moderation. Moderating facebook takes enough time from our board members and other assigned moderators as it has almost 10000 users. like it or not social media has taken the place that forums used to fill. 

The reasons we are planning to deprecate the forum is based around the fact it has tons of out of date information and the low usage. We as a volunteer org have limited human resources and in order to continue must allocate those resources where most of our members are located and where new members come from.

As someone who has been involved since the beginning of MOC it is sad to see the forum go in one sense but all good things must come to an end when they no longer are viable and forums across all sectors have been dying for some time. I get it that some of you don't like social media and why. However having old and outdated information just sitting here  is also dangerous. People can find a thread or comment in a google search and not see that the info is out of date and when things don't go so well our name gets attached to that out of date information.

In regards to the VPN issue that is out of our control and likely a problem with the specific VPN or its settings. I use a VPN through Cloudflare from my phone and laptop and home PC with no issues.

Finally as an alternative to facebook and this forum that is going away we do have a MeWe group that we made as a backup when facebook started down the antigun road awhile back in case they booted us. We are planning to start posting in it again and would love help with maintaining it. See link to sign up and join the group. https://mewe.com/group/56af8659e4b053de9d0a7dc7

About MeWe https://mewe.com/faq
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 02:04:32 PM »
Another Link to Our MeWe group https://mewe.com/join/michigan_open_carry

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline hevymetal

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 11:23:23 AM »
Happy to hear we are getting an update. If there is anything you might need help with just let me know. I'm an old man in the IT industry.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 09:54:01 PM »
So to clarify we are not going to keep a forum like this with tons of sections. What we are doing is building a wordpress based webpage with all the legal information and FAQ in one place. Discussion will be limited to a potential question and answer section ( at this point we are deciding which plugin to use) . Comments on individual articles is not planned as that results in crappy information that is out of our control and requires moderation. Moderating facebook takes enough time from our board members and other assigned moderators as it has almost 10000 users. like it or not social media has taken the place that forums used to fill. 

The reasons we are planning to deprecate the forum is based around the fact it has tons of out of date information and the low usage. We as a volunteer org have limited human resources and in order to continue must allocate those resources where most of our members are located and where new members come from.

As someone who has been involved since the beginning of MOC it is sad to see the forum go in one sense but all good things must come to an end when they no longer are viable and forums across all sectors have been dying for some time. I get it that some of you don't like social media and why. However having old and outdated information just sitting here  is also dangerous. People can find a thread or comment in a google search and not see that the info is out of date and when things don't go so well our name gets attached to that out of date information.

In regards to the VPN issue that is out of our control and likely a problem with the specific VPN or its settings. I use a VPN through Cloudflare from my phone and laptop and home PC with no issues.

Finally as an alternative to facebook and this forum that is going away we do have a MeWe group that we made as a backup when facebook started down the antigun road awhile back in case they booted us. We are planning to start posting in it again and would love help with maintaining it. See link to sign up and join the group. https://mewe.com/group/56af8659e4b053de9d0a7dc7

About MeWe https://mewe.com/faq

I have been a paid member since 2010, after reading this I believe that will change at the end of this cycle. If it were not for "gryphon" being so helpful here on the forum I most likely would have stopped a few years ago like most everybody else I know.
After all the disappointment in last few years like not knowing who is running in an election, I now see it is because the board is busy catering to 9550 SQUATTERS (read as NON MEMBERS) on bookface and couldn't care anyless about the members that do not use that platform. Of the 450ish paid members, I guarantee not all of them use bookface, you saying that they are not worth the time to keep updated puts things into perspective for me. Thank you for that!

Also the VPN I have used for 2 years now has no issues on any other forums or web pages I frequent, funny how it only malfunctions on one site.

Offline MI_XD

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Bob
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 11:19:08 AM »
I have been a paid member since 2010, after reading this I believe that will change at the end of this cycle. If it were not for "gryphon" being so helpful here on the forum I most likely would have stopped a few years ago like most everybody else I know.
After all the disappointment in last few years like not knowing who is running in an election, I now see it is because the board is busy catering to 9550 SQUATTERS (read as NON MEMBERS) on bookface and couldn't care anyless about the members that do not use that platform. Of the 450ish paid members, I guarantee not all of them use bookface, you saying that they are not worth the time to keep updated puts things into perspective for me. Thank you for that!

Thank you for stating what I was also thinking, and posting it before I had the chance. I have been a paying member for a similar amount of time, have travelled to Lansing for several 2nd Amendment Marches and also to some MOC seminars in the area.
And I too am NOT a FacePalm user.

I just gave a farewell to one of the other forums that brought me knowledge, as this one has. OCDO.org has changed their software to something that has no rhyme nor reason to it's layout, and I have not been able to find nor read the threads that I was familiar with. Sounds like another Farewell will be in order if this group feels it needs to forget about it's members.
MI_XD
SW Michigan
I finally can be Proud of America, again!

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 07:40:19 AM »
I feel the need to chime in here - I've been part of MOC since nearly it's inception. While I have a tendency to lurk in the background most of the time, I do keep current on the goings on. I assist with the IT work (through three different IT directors, to date), and the goal here is not to alienate anyone. I refuse to use Facebook myself - I can't stand the format nor the inordinate amount of time most people seem to spend on it. The goal with the new website design is to gather all of the information that is spread out currently (between FB, the web site, emails, forum, etc), and put it all into one organised area. I am an avid forum user myself under most circumstances, but when looking at the amount of traffic our forum had 10 years ago versus the _maybe_ one question per month that gets asked, it really does not make sense to keep the forums up and running. The majority of the postings on the forum in the past few years are by gryphon (or are responses to his post), and contain the same information as the newsletter or other emails provided each month. With the new website format, the goal is to provide the same information but all in one centralised location - making it much easier to locate and reference the correct/current information you are looking for.

We are currently looking at options for a Q&A sort of thing, but that isn't set up yet. We do not want to leave comments sections open on all posts on the new page, or we will end up with more moderation (false information, spam, armchair quarterbacks, anti-gunners, etc).

The whole point of gryphon's original post here was to ask for questions/comments/constructive criticism. The board is generally concerned with trying to keep all members in the loop (again, I am not part of the board, but attend as many of the online meetings as I can - once a month for an hour or less isn't really that bad), but there are other ways to do so without keeping a depreciated forum running.

If anyone has comments or questions, I will try to check this board daily (as I used to years ago), and will respond as I can. Gryphon does a hell of a job with the newsletter, and despite my not using FB, the information can all be found in other manners, so I really do not have a problem archiving the forums.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 06:20:28 PM »

The VPN issue is interesting also - it has to do with improperly formed https requests through the VPN service. I also have an IP Vanish account set up, and I tried it this morning and it works fine for me. It would be something you could contact them about directly - possibly something wrong with the client set up on your computer? I run Linux, and don't use their client, so I don't really have a way to test that, unfortunately.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 10:55:29 PM »
The VPN issue is interesting also - it has to do with improperly formed https requests through the VPN service. I also have an IP Vanish account set up, and I tried it this morning and it works fine for me. It would be something you could contact them about directly - possibly something wrong with the client set up on your computer? I run Linux, and don't use their client, so I don't really have a way to test that, unfortunately.

As I said in another post, it is funny that 2 windows 10 computers and one Galaxy S8 all using that VPN do not work on this one forum, but work every place else. Tapatalk worked fine, but nope that disappeared as well. Post from an android phone now with the vpn app off, because it won't work with it on. I don't change the settings on the vpn, they are whatever they were when I started using it 2 years ago. It used to work here, but doesn't now. I promise you I did not change anything on three different devices.

Why contact the VPN if the forum is going away?
That would be like wasting years trying to get the MOC board to have meetings on weekends so I could attend them (I rescheduled deliveries twice while scott webb was president to try to attend a meeting and both times the meeting were cancelled, so it came to a why bother situation). I am not going to lose money for something that seems as though my input doesn't matter.

Not everybody sits at home with all sorts of free time on a week day evening, many truck drivers are waiting to make deliveries of everything people own, some of those deliveries are in areas where cell service is bad, which I have said since they started the online meetings. I gave up because obviously nobody cared, it was a majority were happy situation and I was the minority.

After last years election candidates being top secret, I got a little mad, now that I see a BoD member post that they are to busy moderating a worthless service for non paying members, to post any information here for actual membership.
That speaks loudly to me about priorities!