Author Topic: Oakland Press article 0n 8/28/2010 Pontiac council meeting on 8/26/10  (Read 4793 times)

Offline fozzy71

Re: Oakland Press article 0n 8/28/2010 Pontiac council meeting on 8/26/10
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 04:27:05 PM »
The court found municipalities can’t provide additional restrictions when it comes to enacting or enforcing concealed firearms regulations, he said.

Hotz added the same probably goes for open-carry since there is no known case law that allows a municipality to restrict it.

I am pretty sure the pre-emption law never mentions 'concealed'.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(ylr0wf55k4kkmr55m45a21et))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-123-1102
123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.
Sec. 2.

A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

History: 1990, Act 319, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991

Council President Lee Jones said he would like the supporters of the open carry to consider what image they are showing children and seniors by displaying their firearm.

:facepalm:

I had a couple retired female neighbors ask me about OC the other night when walking my dog.  They were certainly not frightened, and said that if the SHTF they hope I am nearby.   ;D

Offline emt805

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 06:17:14 PM »
"“In your protests, in your travels, think about the children,” he said."

These are always the people that were taught to be afraid of guns are those that never grew up around them or told by parents they do nothing but cause harm and hide them from guns. If taught to handle them correctly there is nothing to hide and nothing to worry about. These kids have a better chance at getting into their parents liquor than their firearms...

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 02:48:17 PM »
Council President Lee Jones said he would like the supporters of the open carry to consider what image they are showing children and seniors by displaying their firearm.
Yes! Let's think about the children! Let's think about all the drinking we are exposing them to!  The potential four out of control drunks, etc.

...yeesh.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 03:07:14 PM »
...after all, isn't this the city that hosted ABE for many years in the past?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 11:13:02 PM »
...after all, isn't this the city that hosted ABE for many years in the past?

Yep.

Offline CrossPistols

• Legal Musings
  • Charter Member Mundy Twp.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 08:10:20 PM »
"The children" Cracks me up every time I hear it.   Um I carry for the children, and the seniors, and all who may not be able to defend them selves, as well for the defense of my self and MY FREE STATE!
Hotel Sierra Lima Delta!

Offline jeffsayers

• MOC Charter Member
  • Do you really want to go there with me?
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 02:08:21 PM »
Everywhere I go, protesting or not, I think of MY child. I think of my own disadvantages of growing up without a father and how hard it was forme to overcome those challenges without a father. I WILL NOT let some hipped up thug put my son in that situation because he wants a few bucks for his next fix.

And here's some logic for ya:

How did the whole idea of "thinking of the children" work out at the (insert name of school here) massacre?

Or,

What about the children looking at the puppies in the pet store at the mall that day?

Or,

How do the children of the men who gave all for our liberty feel? Are they thinking of them too? Did their fathers perish for no reason?

Or, (And the best for last!)

What about the children in this very city that get beaten beyond recognition by the gang-bangers while a group of seniors sit and watch while waiting for the police because they do not have the strength to give that child the immediate assistance they desperately need? Perhaps instead of buying guns you would prefer the tax payers to go out and buy ambulances?
United we STAND!
I open carry for the same reason God gave poisonous animals bright colors.