Author Topic: SOME CCW INSTRUCTORS JUST DON'T GET IT!  (Read 9308 times)

Offline BailEnforcer

• Facta Probant
    • Forfeiture Services
SOME CCW INSTRUCTORS JUST DON'T GET IT!
« on: September 19, 2010, 10:03:16 PM »
A friend of mine attended a CCW class yesterday in Detroit to work toward his CPL; he has been OC for a while but decided he wanted to get his CCW so he didn't have to keep clearing and storing his weapon in the trunk between stops out of fear that he may accidentally discharge his weapon while reloading at a stop.

He asked the instructor about OC and was immediately chastised for bringing it up and that the only way he could legally carry a firearm was out of sight and with a CCW!

The instructor told him; and the entire class that OC was a crime and that anyone that OC'd could be arrested for not having a CCW.

He tried to explain that MI is an OC state and was told he didn't know what he was talking about and that either he had to secure his weapon in his car until it was time for the range or leave.

The Patroit Act; Turning citizens into suspects since 2001!
-------------------------------------------------
I may not like what you have to say; but, I will defend to the death your right to say it!  Voltaier

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
Re: SOME CCW INSTRUCTORS JUST DON'T GET IT!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 10:47:10 PM »
Personally,i think,at least some CPL instructors chastise OC because they feel it will take away from they're profits.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline Bronson

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 11:17:41 PM »
Get the CPL instructor's name and contact info and send it to the regional MOC in your area.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline Advanced Security

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 11:32:42 PM »
Get the CPL instructor's name and contact info and send it to the regional MOC in your area.

Bronson

I got an instructor doing the same thing, what will the MOC do?

Jeff

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 11:42:13 PM »
Other than sending them information there is little we can do.

However the students can report the instructor to the NRA for failure to correctly teach the legal portion. We cannot do that for him.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Bronson

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 12:09:59 AM »

Start with this.  If they don't change then move on to...

However the students can report the instructor to the NRA for failure to correctly teach the legal portion. 

I'd rather the instructor just say they choose not to comment on open carry as it falls outside the purpose of the concealed pistol license course then to give bad information.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline sprinklerguy28

• Webb Tactical
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 05:19:21 AM »
Personally,i think,at least some CPL instructors chastise OC because they feel it will take away from they're profits.

A quality instructor will not fear OC. Firearm instruction is still needed to be proficient. If they are skilled in their craft people will still seek them out on their own to improve their firearm skills. NRA will take first hand accounts only. Please have your friend report this asap.

Offline BailEnforcer

• Facta Probant
    • Forfeiture Services
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 06:02:49 AM »
He will be contacting the NRA this morning and is planning on bringing it up to the county when he files his CCW application later this week. 

I may not like what you have to say; but, I will defend to the death your right to say it!  Voltaier

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 07:28:31 AM »
Telling the county will not help in any way... Telling the NRA is really all he needs to do.
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline johnnymcsavage

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 10:03:37 PM »
I definitely do not agree with instructors providing their opinion about OC but not teach anything about it. I doubt telling the students would take away from their bottom line, but to basically say that it's illegal and bad and all that nonsense is just plain ignorant. How hard would it be to get the NRA to change the information that they provide the instructors so it includes some kind of information about OC?

Offline Bronson

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 02:38:11 AM »
How hard would it be to get the NRA to change the information that they provide the instructors so it includes some kind of information about OC?

Why should they?  The class is supposed to teach people what they need to know to legally CONCEALED carry.  Open carry has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Bronson

Offline johnnymcsavage

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 04:19:12 AM »
I understand the concealed part, and I wasn't suggesting that they teach anything about it. All I was trying to say was that the information should be available if a student asks about it. Instead of the instructor giving the fire and brimstone speech about the evils of OC, maybe they could give a few words on it and move along without injecting their opinion into it.

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 05:01:14 AM »

However the students can report the instructor to the NRA for failure to correctly teach the legal portion. We cannot do that for him.

It might work, however strictly speaking the Michigan CPL course is NRA Personal Protection In The Home, and the course does not go over OC, or even Concealed Carry for that matter, it's in the course obviously, but as far as the NRA is concerned it's not, that the information given is incorrect may, or may not matter as it was not technically a part of the course.  It doesn't hurt to call though, they may even do something about it, though if I had to guess they will probably just inform the instructor that he's wrong.

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 05:07:23 AM »
For what it's worth I'm an NRA instructor, and I go out of my way to mention OC, and that it is in fact legal, I even hand out the AG opinion pertaining to OC in pistol free zones, I don't talk about it long, as it's not the main point of the course, but I do mention it as an option.

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 08:46:56 PM »
For what it's worth I'm an NRA instructor, and I go out of my way to mention OC, and that it is in fact legal, I even hand out the AG opinion pertaining to OC in pistol free zones, I don't talk about it long, as it's not the main point of the course, but I do mention it as an option.

what does it take to be a NRA instructor?
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline 13mile9

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 08:55:17 PM »
The CPL instructors need to address OC to some degree...because the CPL allows certain OC privileges in certain gun free zones.   Please correct me if I'm wrong.   

I went through the same thing:  "don't OC...you'll just cause a ruckuss"  ....  "you'll become a target" ..." you'll waste police resources on the 'man with a gun' call" ...etc....

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 09:41:41 PM »
The Leo's and instructors better just come up to speed. Because it's on and poppen baby.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline BailEnforcer

• Facta Probant
    • Forfeiture Services
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 09:52:57 PM »

Take the NRA Firearms Instructor Course I belive!

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 12:43:26 AM »

the cost of the application?

Offline BailEnforcer

• Facta Probant
    • Forfeiture Services
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 01:24:33 AM »

the cost of the application?

Looks to be about $1,200.oo for the NRA Home Firearm Safety Instructor Course; which is a 3 day course.

visit the NRA Instructors Program at http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx to find an instructor in your area to see what they charge and when their classes are.