Author Topic: any recommendations on a laser sight?  (Read 7181 times)

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
any recommendations on a laser sight?
« on: November 12, 2010, 06:11:02 PM »
Ok, all - I've been trying to decide something, and maybe someone here has a suggestion.

I have a Beretta PX4 full frame that I CC currently (just starting to OC), and I've been considering a laser sight.  Obviously, this is for self-defense, not for hunting, and I've been wondering how much of a benefit people have seen with them.  I'm fairly good at the range as is, and I've been shooting rabbits off the hip since I was old enough to fire a 12 gauge, but I know that in an emergency situation, hand-eye coordination kinda goes out the window.  I'm wondering if anyone has seen anything fairly slim that is still a decent piece of equipment (and preferably fairly inexpensive).

Thanks in advance!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
Re: any recommendations on a laser sight?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 11:03:52 PM »
Oh, and I'd love to hear pros and cons of using a laser sight, too.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 02:15:57 PM »
Crimson trace makes some that go over the grips,doesnt really affect handling nor holster usage from what i hear.

Pros i could see is that it helps you see where your shooting and that it provides even more of a visual deterrent,giving an attacker more perceived reason to back down.

Cons that i see is that they do not work too good in well lit areas,and if clearing a building(i.e. your house)they could give your position away,but then again it could also give them more incentive to just leave.

none of what i say is presented as fact,only opinion,there are different pros and cons for every person.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline NHCGRPR45

• Macomb Twp. MI
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 02:35:37 AM »
well the best out there is surefire, but the 450 price is not what you are looking for, then my next choice would be viridian green laser sights, they are more reasonable with prices and hold there zero as well. the next choice down the list but not in quality is the insights brand of lasers and light laser combo they can be found for about 250, someone correct me if i am wrong, and i am not really familiar with crimson trace but i have heard really good things about them and several manufatures use them or include them in the price of there weapons kimber and nighthawk to name 2. ruger also but don't hold me to that ;) they can be mounted on the grip which makes it easier on the wallet since you don't need a new holster to go along with it. laser max is also good but the operating switch interfres with some holsters so you would need to call them directly to find out what works with what.

me personally? i would stick with surefire or viridian, i have used both and would feel more than comfortable with either on my side.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such goverment, and to provide new gaurds for their future security. United States Constitution.

Offline dknight16

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 08:56:01 AM »
I have a Lasermax in my Sig P229. Basically the laser replaces the recoil spring guide, so nothing sits externally at all. A button integral to the takedown lever is the switch. It's an engineering marvel of packaging.

Having had it a long time I must admit it seems more like a toy than a true tactical advantage. The laser trace moves around wildly when the gun recoils. It's actually more distracting than a real target acquisition advantage in my experience.  I think a set of quality night sights makes more tactical sense in most situations.

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 10:21:24 AM »
     I gotta admit I shoot for $#|t.  I know this, I admit this, and I know it is wrong, but I rely on and practice heavily on my laser.  I also have the internal Lasermax on my primary carry piece, a Glock 23, .40 cal.  I love that it is internal more for the cool factor then functional.  LEO's I have discussed it with and most anyone seem to prefer anything that is grip triggered, you shouldn't have to rely on turning it on manually in a tactical situation.

My only argument against the manual turn on is that perhaps in any number of situations, you do not want it on as stealth would be to your benefit tactically.

The internal Lasermax put me out around $289 with shipping a couple years ago, but it has held up fine and helped improve my accuracy drastically.  The unit is pricey, but it works as advertised, turns on while at the range and practicing drawing rapidly and shooting quickly.  Despite the heavy price tag, I consider the Lasermax to be a worthwhile additional tool to have around.  A young 17 and 18 year old couple from the area will also testify that it works well to rapidly deter would be home invaders, the laser seems more real then a black could be a gun apparently.

-jason
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 11:30:41 AM »
I saw some of the internal guide rod lasers.  They look cool, but they do not make them for the PX4.  Anyone ever hear anything about Armalite?  I found a very slim laser that looks like it would work (and still fit my holsters), and it's only $140 or so.  (That's also why I'm kind of suspect of it - it seems quite a bit cheaper than the $250 I see most decent models for.)

Here is the link:
http://www.lasersightpro.com/store-products-KTSRY1-STINGRAY-SR1-UNIVERSAL-SMALL-RAIL-MOUNTED-PISTOL-LASER-SIGHT_1096971365.html

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 12:16:28 PM »
With a purchase such as this make sure to check out sites that sell this and offer buyers spots to review like:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/KTS680-1.html

Simple and easy method to find out what people think.
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline Bronson

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 03:49:22 AM »
This isn't the popular answer but I say use the money you'd spend on the laser for more ammo and learn to point shoot i.e not using the sights at all.

Or get yourself one of these little lasers that will help teach you to point shoot http://www.opticsplanet.net/laserlyte-pistol-laser-trainer-minimum-2-inch-barrel-required-lt-pro.html  The nice thing is you can put it in almost any gun and you can practice point shooting in your living room.  It's a lot less $$ and IMO it'd go farther to helping you become a better shot instead of relying on a little dot...which Mr. Murphy tells us will fail at the exact time you need it to work.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline JSteinmetz

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 07:29:13 AM »
I thought about that, but I'm already pretty confident at point-and-shoot.  I was just thinking about using the laser for assistance.  As an example, being able to shoot from cover without raising it to my face, etc. 

(Also, the additional 'oh, $#|t' factor from the bad guy is nice.)