Author Topic: Stopped my LEO whilst riding my bicycle  (Read 36343 times)

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
Re: Stopped my LEO whilst riding my bicycle
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
Really felt good outside today. I jumped on the ten speed and OC'd two miles from my home to Livernois & Michigan. Then took the new bike trail (Line) that's next to the parking lane all the way to Michigan Ave. and Trumbull, back home. I stopped at all traffic lights. Cars passing on my left side (strong side), no words out loud, no problem. Carry On.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2011, 03:12:26 AM »
GR8T

As you were.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline METL

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2011, 08:10:29 AM »
So:

bike + pistol = yes

Bike + bazooka = no!

amirite?

just to clarify, I meant with no CPL...

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
riding ON my bicycle
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2011, 05:13:40 PM »

This is the one that applies to pistols in a vehicle.

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

No mention of motor vehicle.

Bronson

My opinion is OC on a pedal bike is legal because... well all those points have been made here and elsewhere but I'd like to take this in a new direction.

We've had the discussions that MI has 2 licenses, a License to Purchase and Carry (LPC) and a Concealed Carry License (CPL). Now why do we assume that in 750.227 where it says "License" it means CPL?

"(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license."

Notice the word "concealed is not there.
I think it could easily be argued that we can open carry in any vehicle with a LPC. It might be hard to argue that we can open carry in a vehicle with doors but we can oc in a building with doors. :D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 05:42:20 PM by Golden Eagle »
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington

Offline redskin

• ...our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2011, 01:27:20 AM »
Saturday I was alone riding my bicycle around the block, which is a 3 mile ride since I live in the country. I was open carrying my Ruger P90. I was passed by several cars including this white unmarked SUV.

I didn't think anything of it until he turned around. He stopped in front of me and the lights went on. I don't think he was responding to a call, because he was wearing a K9 police uniform. I think he was just driving by and stopped and turned around because he saw the gun holstered on my hip. He directed me to the side of the road and asked me why I was carrying a gun. I said for personal protection. He said, and I am paraphrasing, "I know you are just excercising your right, but people get nervous when they see a gun". I said that may be true, but I'm not breaking any law. "I know you're not, but people aren't used to seeing someone riding their bike carrying a gun. I don't know you and I need to check out someone carrying a gun in public." Again, I said I'm not breaking any law by doing so.

When he asked for ID, I then asked if the only reason he was pulling me over was because of the gun. When he said yes, I said, "then you know that I'm not required to show you ID. He said "I know, but I'm asking you please to produce some ID. If you have a CPL, then I will know there are no warrants on you and we'll be done". At that point I had to make a decision. Should I take the hardline, or show him ID to get it over with? I showed him my DL and CPL and was on my way immediately. I know, here is where some of you will criticise me for not standing firm, but the guy was very polite, and was not one of those anti-gun dirty harry types, so I showed it to him. He was being polite and understanding, so I in turn was as well. After all, it is not only about "our" perception of the LEO's, but there perception of us as well.

Anyway, the encounter went well I thought, and lasted about 3 minutes and I was on my way, still open carrying all the way home.

I didn't read this whole thread, so this may have been said already, but I can't help but say something...

Yes, the cop was polite, and I wasn't there so I have to believe you that he wasn't an "anti-gun dirty harry type"... but really he was much worse than that. Pulling you over and insisting you submit to his arbitrary decisions in the name of soothing the public nerves is really worse than the anti-gun brady bunch, for a number of reasons.

First, there is an implication that carrying a gun is a negative thing. It isn't, but by submitting to these kinds of stops you are really implicitly agreeing with the officer and supporting this frame of mind. This has been allowed to happen a lot over the last 150 years, and it is the primary foothold the anti-gunners have against us. That is, even the people carrying guns submit to police because even they know guns are bad and need to be controlled, right? Wrong.

Its really a cyclical problem. People are nervous, so you allow the cop to [nicely] step on you. People see you gladly submitting to the cops, and thus see your implication that guns are bad. Because of the implications, people get nervous around guns. Then it goes around again, and again, and again... until it becomes so compounded that we begin losing our rights again.

Secondly, you have an absolute legal right to refuse. And how does the saying go, "a right unexercised is a right lost"? If we submit to these kinds of "informal reviews" by police officers, we begin to form de facto law. Or, in practice, we make it okay for cops to investigate guns as they are seen. We already know this isn't true, somebody else can quote the law, but we'd had to allow it to gradually move to that situation.

Finally, the worst parts of our government have been established on the foundation of greater security. It is the unfortunate trend of our era, and the Patriot Act is its poster child. Whether it involves firearms or not, we should stand against any attempt to compromise our freedom in the name of security.

If I have to choose between a Brady Campaign zealot, standing on his soapbox and shouting for strict laws and enforcement, throwing money at our leaders and spewing propaganda to support his cause; and the calm, polite police officer, admitting that you are right but asking for your concessions, just this one time, for the safety of the people.... I'll take the zealot every time. I know him, I know his strategy, and I know his goals.

Far worse is the man that soothes your ego while he plunges a knife in your back, than the man who faces you across the battlefield with an army.

I'm not suggesting you single-handedly caused the breakdown of society with this one incident, just throwing in my two cents. I think of the big picture when I see these small snippets. And don't forget: There is always a polite way to handle these situations and handle them in your favor.
A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers and woods, but a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle.

Offline Bronson

Re: riding ON my bicycle
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2011, 01:46:42 AM »
We've had the discussions that MI has 2 licenses, a License to Purchase and Carry (LPC) and a Concealed Carry License (CPL). Now why do we assume that in 750.227 where it says "License" it means CPL?

Odd, I thought of that the other day too.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline METL

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2011, 09:33:28 AM »
Just the way the guy handled the LEO when he crossed the parking lot and was carrying sterile...    LEO:  Need to see ID.   GUY:  I'm sorry officer, but that's not a legal requirement, but out of respect, I'd be happy to give you my first name.   etc...

Offline Big Gay Al

• MOC Member
  • Rock Island Armory 1911A1 FS Tactical .45 ACP
    • Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
  • First Name (Displayed): Al
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2011, 12:38:31 PM »
One thing I've learned, there are some encounters I'm NEVER going to mention in this group.  They way everyone dissects the encounter, based on personal bias, even though THEY weren't there. 

Nope, not gonna do it.
Big Gay Al
Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2011, 01:51:37 PM »
But that is the precise reason to post them here.

The critiques can often times assist others in formulating their own responses.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline ocdetroit

« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2011, 03:16:55 PM »
 :) +1 Carry On Safely.
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline Big Gay Al

• MOC Member
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2011, 05:06:50 PM »
But that is the precise reason to post them here.

The critiques can often times assist others in formulating their own responses.
Perhaps, but it just seems to me that some of the critques are a bit too critical.

Maybe we need a subcategory, specifically letting all posters know their "encounter" will be dissected to the nth degree.  The only reason I say this, I've noticed more than a few getting ticked off at the way they are criticized for their responses.  For that matter, some of us have been criticized for announcing our opinions that sometimes support the "bad" responses.

I always looked at the "OC Experience" as a way to announce our success at making OC more common place.  Sure, sometimes we are "approached" by LEOs and questioned, but I think we all know that's just one of the "perks" of OC.  The possibily of increased interaction with our public servants.

I guess I was slightly mistaken.
Big Gay Al

Offline Christian Patriot

• Daniel
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
From a "noob" point of view, I agree with Gay...(hehe) Constructive critisizm  should be meant to build, not tear down! I learned some things from this post, but, I would feel like I had been attacked by the majority if this had been me. I would like to think that if/when I have my first LEO encounter I will stand my ground to the fullest  of my rights (if that makes sense), but when the moment of truth is at hand, who can really say? Each of us are left to our own knowledge and level of comfort while out on our own. I think that the important thing is that each of us use integrity while ocing and this man displayed that and left a good impression on this officer.
Thanx man for representing what we do in a positive light! Thanx for representing me in a positive way!

Daniel
If you act like a horses bodonka donk, you should be treated as such, so, be of good character!

Offline METL

« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2011, 01:28:13 PM »
I didn't get the impression that anyone was tearing the OP down...   I def. felt they were pointing out his mistakes and presenting different ways to handle it.. I don't think that anyone was saying he screwed up or even that they would have had the nuts to do things differently... but just giving suggestions on how to handle it if it happens again, OR, more importantly so OTHER people can evaluate teh situation and know what TO and NOT TO do if it happens to them...

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2011, 02:33:24 PM »
If you cannot take advice don't post he exsperience... many people on here while gruff will give sound advice that just might save your bacon the next time.

Sent from my Droid Flipside using Tapatalk
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Big Gay Al

• MOC Member
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2011, 04:25:17 PM »
While I think the majority of the responses were constructive, if any of you don't think that ANY of them were hyper-critical, I suggest you go to page 2 and read response #24 by the OP. 

Big Gay Al

Offline dlgeorge

« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2011, 02:55:42 PM »
While I think the majority of the responses were constructive, if any of you don't think that ANY of them were hyper-critical, I suggest you go to page 2 and read response #24 by the OP.

Yes, I admit it, Many of the replies were slightly intimidating to me.  However,  I can take it in this case.  It is the best way to learn.  The letter I wrote to the sherriff is a different story.  What I mean is, what happened to me, and all of your replies are constructive and I appreciate them 100%. 

On the other hand, the letter I sent, which was very much a complaint to the Sherriff and was very pointed, need not be scrutinized in the same way.  Negative responses to my letter, by their very nature would be more of a personal attack on me and my writing style.  It would serve no purpose nor would it be a positive addition to this thread.

The Sherriff has not yet replied to my letter, but if he does, at that time both my letter and his reply can be posted together for the education of all here.  Only then, when both pieces are together can we be educated by it.

Thanks again all,

PS, I'm still open carrying on my bycicle!!   :D ;)

Offline kc8swy

• MOC Member
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2011, 03:11:19 PM »
Open Carry on Donald!

I do it also, on my road bike and on my mountain bike down here in SW Michigan, and Northern Indiana.  Most of the time my bicycle OC is in an ankle holster.

Offline Big Gay Al

• MOC Member
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2011, 03:36:53 PM »

Yes, I admit it, Many of the replies were slightly intimidating to me.  However,  I can take it in this case.  It is the best way to learn.  The letter I wrote to the sherriff is a different story.  What I mean is, what happened to me, and all of your replies are constructive and I appreciate them 100%. 

Proper criticism should not be intimidating at all.  I was bothered by some of them myself, and it wasn't even my thread!  Some go without saying.  I know where Venator stands on the subject.  He's never made a secret of it, and I can respect that.  But I think some of the responses could have been a little less harsh in their execution.

Granted, tone is sometimes a difficult thing to deduce from the type written word, but there are ways.  Smiley faces for one.  :)  I tend to sprinkle them in my messages, so that people don't think I'm trying to chastise them.

FYI, I consider this constructive criticism in constructive criticism.  :D
Big Gay Al

Offline METL

« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2011, 07:27:02 PM »
Glad to hear you weren't put off DLgeorge...  I don't think anyone was trying to rip you up.. I think they were all just trying to help and figure out better ways to respond to the situation..   not like you made some critical error or something..      the situation could have been handled differently, but you didn't get thrown in jail or anything...

thanks for posting the experience and the follow up.  I hope you hear back from the sheriff.. I would follow up with him and ask where you response is.

Offline ocdetroit

« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2011, 08:56:57 PM »
 8) Here Here.  8) Let's keep up the good work guys and gals Carry On Safely. ;).
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.