Author Topic: When will Ammo supplies return to normal  (Read 26777 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
When will Ammo supplies return to normal
« on: January 29, 2013, 08:16:04 AM »
Predictions?

I wasn't around for the last gun grab scare. Various articles are coming out that say Reid doesn't even have a majority of votes to pass a ban out of the Senate -- let alone the House.

Any predictions when ammo supply/demand will level off?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: When will Ammo supplies return to normal
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 08:26:50 AM »
When the owners realize there is no need to buy everything in sight. It's messed up when I want just one box of ammo for the range and all I hear is, this guy came in and bought everything.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 08:57:15 AM »
My local range has a two box per day limit. Even so, they are still out of a bunch of stuff.

When will everything return to normal? Depends on your definition of normal. I don't think things have been the same since mid 2008 and they won't be for a long time, if ever.

Offline JakeBP

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 09:19:48 AM »
I hope soon. I turn 18 in about a week, terrible time to start my collection.

Offline METL

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 10:51:07 AM »
I don't see it returning back to "normal" until at least the end of this year....  it's going to take some time to replenish stocks... 

That's a big IF...   IF there are no more big shootings...

HOpefully we will start to see people selling their surplus for cheap in about 2 years.    ;)

Offline detroit_fan

• AmmoDump
  • 2 chairs, no waiting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 01:25:52 PM »
Maybe someone can explain this to me, why do we even have an ammo shortage?

Look at all the talk over gun control proposals, NONE of them have anything to do with ammo. Background checks, AWB, banning mag's over 10rds, but nothing about ammo. I understand why there would be a rush on the guns that they want to ban, but no one is talking about ammo, so why are people freaking out and buying all of it in such large quantities?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 02:38:26 PM »
Maybe someone can explain this to me, why do we even have an ammo shortage?

Look at all the talk over gun control proposals, NONE of them have anything to do with ammo. Background checks, AWB, banning mag's over 10rds, but nothing about ammo. I understand why there would be a rush on the guns that they want to ban, but no one is talking about ammo, so why are people freaking out and buying all of it in such large quantities?

You're speaking rationally. Most people, gun owners included, are driven by emotion.

Personally, I stocked up in November -- because I knew ppl would hoard because if Obama 2.0. I didn't stock up because I feared Obama 2.0; I stocked up because I knew people would hoard because of Obama 2.0.

Offline detroit_fan

• AmmoDump
  • 2 chairs, no waiting
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 02:55:10 PM »
You're speaking rationally. Most people, gun owners included, are driven by emotion.

Personally, I stocked up in November -- because I knew ppl would hoard because if Obama 2.0. I didn't stock up because I feared Obama 2.0; I stocked up because I knew people would hoard because of Obama 2.0.
I guess I should have too. I did buy a new AR and a carbine that would be considered an "assault weapon" because of obama being elected, becasue i knew he would come after those, but i never anticipated him going after ammo so i didn't bother to stock up.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 02:56:52 PM »
I guess I should have too. I did buy a new AR and a carbine that would be considered an "assault weapon" because of obama being elected, becasue i knew he would come after those, but i never anticipated him going after ammo so i didn't bother to stock up.

Best to consider what people will do because what they think Obama is likely to do.

Offline detroit_fan

• AmmoDump
  • 2 chairs, no waiting
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 03:01:50 PM »

Best to consider what people will do because what they think Obama is likely to do.
yeah, i learned my lesson on this one.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 03:04:24 PM »
Patches are in short supply too ;(

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 03:05:10 PM »

So you hoarded before they did lol
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 03:13:45 PM »
So you hoarded before they did lol

Pretty much. I followed advice of a nameless hoarding lawyer ;)

Offline TexasSupporter

• First Name (Displayed): James
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 09:31:30 PM »
Well, here in Texas we are more than willing to help the "hoarding" situation.  Texas Senator Ted Cruz has invited gun and ammo makers into Texas, for a friendly game at building more and building 'em fast!  Bring it to Texas, and we will solve the problem in no time.  That's the least we can do for "y'all"...

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 07:50:29 AM »
Mid June everything with ammo and prices will be back to the norm. The gouged prices are already starting to drop. And all these local guns stores that marked up their prices will find they have lost a lot of long term business for a short term gain.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 08:52:23 AM »
My initial thoughts were six months--if nothing else happens.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 11:22:50 AM »
As soon as people quit voting so dumbocrats are in Washington. The writing has been on the wall if people would have only bothered to read it.
The day this scumbag was elected 4 years ago prices went up and have not came down yet. Clinton did a fine job of causing prices to go through the roof, I remember glock mags costing $125.00 during his reign.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 11:43:18 AM »
Mid June everything with ammo and prices will be back to the norm. The gouged prices are already starting to drop. And all these local guns stores that marked up their prices will find they have lost a lot of long term business for a short term gain.

These places had three choices/

1. Raise prices to lower demand
2. Limit the amount if ammo per customer per day
3. Be out if stock

Sounds like three bad choices. I'd not fault a gun shop for making any if those choices.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 11:49:37 AM »
I was reading another gun board the other day and a guy started a thread whining about people getting down on liberal Democrats.  He was a liberal Democrat gun owner and voted for Obama and didn't like it that most people there ragged on liberals.

He acknowledges Obama would restrict and even ban some firearms and ammunition, raise energy costs, and such, but he doesn't think those are things to worry about because Obama never would be able to get that stuff through congress so it's a non-issue.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 07:13:02 PM »
I cleaned up from the hoarders after the last panic. Prices plummeted. I managed to stock pile nearly 10,000 rounds of M855 at a fraction of what had previously been real good deal prices before the first panic set in. People needed money and they were willing to dump lead. I also stockpiled plenty of ammo for almost all the guns I lost in that tragic boating accident while ice fishing last winter.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update