Author Topic: shoulder holster oc?  (Read 40725 times)

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
shoulder holster oc?
« on: February 13, 2014, 08:23:30 AM »
this was brought up to me last night by a friend who usually OC with a blackhawk serpa. he was looking at galco miami classic and bulldog extreme shoulder rigs. he wanted to know of the legalities when using one of these as typically they tuck under your arm which some may consider concealed. (the IWB holster comments from the seminar reminded of this kind of situation)

Offline Jeff

Re: shoulder holster oc?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 08:53:38 AM »
They are still clearly visible.  But you can always get the jerk cop claiming that it's concealed no matter where you carry it at or on.  If it's still visible, it's not concealed.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
shoulder holster oc?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:00:48 AM »
The question of fact (which will be presented to a jury at a jury trial) will be:

"Based on the evidence you have been given, has it been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the firearm was not readily observable to a casual observer?"

The answer to that question depends on the jury.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 09:11:17 AM »
I don't know of anyone who thinks shoulder rigs are comfortable.  Gun forums are full of posts by people who have them but hate to wear them.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:22:24 AM by gryphon »

Offline Jeff

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 09:15:31 AM »
I don't know of anyone who things shoulder rigs are comfortable.  Gun forums are full of posts by people who have them but hate to wear them.

I bought a super crappy one for like $13 just to get an idea of it.  It was so bad though that I need something better that doesn't flop around.  I only liked the idea of a shoulder holster so that I can wear it around the house and still be in cotton shorts and a T'shirt.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 10:44:59 AM »
I bought a super crappy one for like $13 just to get an idea of it.  It was so bad though that I need something better that doesn't flop around.  I only liked the idea of a shoulder holster so that I can wear it around the house and still be in cotton shorts and a T'shirt.

thats his idea as well, pj pants and a tshirt, he has a 1911 he wants to carry in home, he went out and got a $50 bulldog extreme nylon holster. its exactly like mine, i have my cpl so its not a issue for me but he does not as he has one of the 8 year DQ charges and cannot get his cpl. he also wants to be able to go out in summer and do yard work or go to the park and not worry about being detained or arrested for concealing without a cpl since thats a 5 year felony

i know we had discussed IWB holsters and open carry and if it was open carry. its kind of the same concept. you can see the handle and back end of the gun, the front of the holster is generally covered by your arm

Offline Jeff

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 11:52:05 AM »
Well, he can still conceal on his own property, so doing yard work even if it ends up being concealed at certain points wouldn't be an issue. 

Offline Raggs

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 12:17:51 PM »
this was brought up to me last night by a friend who usually OC with a blackhawk serpa. he was looking at galco miami classic and bulldog extreme shoulder rigs. he wanted to know of the legalities when using one of these as typically they tuck under your arm which some may consider concealed. (the IWB holster comments from the seminar reminded of this kind of situation)

I OC a shoulder holster often. I have done so at the Coast guard festival and Art Prize plus pretty much anywhere else I go. I find them more comfortable than an OWB personally. I have never received attention from LEO while carrying in this way.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 01:06:11 AM »
The strap over the should needs to be wide, to keep from digging into the shoulder. The wider, the more comfortable. My Galco is 2 1/2 inches at it's widest point. Very comfortable for all day wear. But it wasn't $15 either.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: Re: shoulder holster oc?
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 06:46:20 AM »
The strap over the should needs to be wide, to keep from digging into the shoulder. The wider, the more comfortable. My Galco is 2 1/2 inches at it's widest point. Very comfortable for all day wear. But it wasn't $15 either.

Yeah a good one is comfortable...nylon junk like uncle mikes... Are well... Junk and not comfortable. Expect to spend over 150.00 for a good rig.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Jeff

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 07:21:40 AM »
I could personally make a shoulder holster more comfortable than the cheap one I bought out of duct tape and rubber bands. It would probably look better too haha.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 08:09:50 AM »
yeah i was looking at  a galco miami classic. idk im still on the fence about these

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 11:15:54 AM »
yeah i was looking at  a galco miami classic. idk im still on the fence about these
Mine is the original single sided Jack Ass Rig.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 11:32:36 AM »
If you are going to wear a shoulder rig in public, wearing a jacket would probably avoid even more public hysteria when the soccer mom behind you in line at Meijer or Kroger has your gun barrel pointed at her.  Raggs, you say that has never been an issue with people behind you in line somewhere?

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 12:30:07 PM »
well having the barrel stick out like that lol, people may start making a fuss, i was thinking more along the lines of a nylon one since they are considerably cheaper. idk. either way if i did go shoulder holster i would probably conceal unless its summer time or warm enough for just a t shirt

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 12:32:36 PM »
well having the barrel stick out like that lol, people may start making a fuss

That's a Galco Miami Classic, one of the better shoulder rigs.  Some guns stick out even farther.  Here's a few in the Galco Jackass Rig.  Hey, Pond Scum, what do you think of that 1911 and those grips?

« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:45:24 PM by gryphon »

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 01:14:06 PM »
I have the classic and its ok, but I like the idea of wearing it more that I like actually wearing it. I've got a holter for my lcr and my m&p for it, but still need one for my 1911
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 01:51:44 PM »

i like this one too, would work with my serpa

Offline Raggs

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 04:44:07 PM »
If you are going to wear a shoulder rig in public, wearing a jacket would probably avoid even more public hysteria when the soccer mom behind you in line at Meijer or Kroger has your gun barrel pointed at her.  Raggs, you say that has never been an issue with people behind you in line somewhere?

I have not noticed any hysteria behind me. I generally pay attention to what is behind me and who. I wear the holster a bit further forward than most though.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 07:15:50 PM »

i like this one too, would work with my serpa
Whoa there!!! Is that a Glock in a Serpa?!?!?